WILMINGTON, N.C. – Freshman Alex Lane (Andover, Mass.) hit his first-career home run but the Bryant University baseball team was defeated by Dayton, 5-3, in game one of Saturday's doubleheader at the Seahawk Classic.
Lane hit an 0-2 pitch over the right field wall to bring Bryant within a run in the fourth but the Black and Gold were unable to get any closer.
Junior Will Treuel (Wolfeboro, N.H.) allowed four runs on eight hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out four over six innings in his first-career start.
Dayton 5, Bryant 3
Records: Bryant (0-2), Dayton (2-1)
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
W|L|S: Cole Pletka | Will Treuel | Jared Howell
- Benjamin Blackwell gave Dayton a 2-0 lead in the first as he hit a two-out, two-run home run.
How it Happened
- Treuel was nearly out of trouble in the first but Blackwell hit an 0-2 pitch over the left field wall to give the Flyers a 2-0 lead.
- Blackwell extended the lead to three with an RBI single in the top of the third.
- Bryant scored its first run in the bottom of the third as senior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) doubled, advanced to third on a failed pick off and scored on a muffed throw.
- After Dayton made it 4-1 in the top of the fourth, Lane lifted an 0-2 pitch to the opposite field for his first-career home run.
- The Flyers added an insurance run with a safety squeeze in the top of the ninth.
- Dayton outhit Bryant, 12-4.
- The Bulldogs stole five bases in the game.
- Ciliento went 1-for-2 with a double, two HBPs and three stolen bases.
- Lane finished 1-for-4 with a two-run home run.
- Junior Nick Viscariello (Plymouth, Mass.) went 2-for-4.
- Treuel allowed four runs on eight hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out four over six innings.
- Junior Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.) allowed one run on four hits over three innings of relief.
Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs are now 2-2 against Dayton.
- Ciliento tied his career high in stolen bases that he set last February at LSU.
- Ciliento now has 137 career runs scored, the sixth-most in DI program history.
- The outing was the longest of Treuel's career.
- Viscariello posted his first-career multi-hit game.
The Bulldogs wrap up Saturday's doubleheader when they face host UNC Wilmington at 4:00 p.m.