WILMINGTON, N.C. – Junior Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) turned in a quality start and sophomore Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) drove in two but the Bryant University baseball team dropped a one-run game to UNC Wilmington, 3-2, in game two of a Saturday doubleheader.
Schoff struck out five and allowed just three runs (two earned) on just four hits over a career-high six innings. Offensively, Gustin drove in both Bryant runs but the Black and Gold struck out 15 times in the game.
UNCW 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (0-3), UNCW (2-0)
Location: Brooks Field (Wilmington, N.C.)
W|L|S: Landen Roupp (1-0) | Tyler Schoff (0-1) | Gage Herring (1)
Coach Klosterman's Comments
"I was really impressed with our pitching staff today. Both Will and Tyler got through six innings and gave our offense a chance. The bullpen was great as well. We made some mistakes on the bases that handcuffed us but we are going to continue to stay and aggressive and learn from them. I've seen improvements from game one to game three and we get to play again tomorrow, which ultimately is the most important aspect of this weekend."
- Cole Weiss and Kip Brandenburg produced back-to-back extra-base hits to give the Seahawks a 3-2 lead in the third.
How it Happened
- The Bulldogs took advantage of a UNCW error to score twice in the third. A throwing error loaded the bases with two outs and Gustin roped a two-run single into right field.
- UNCW answered with three runs in the bottom of the inning. The first run scored on a throwing error before Weiss doubled and Brandenburg doubled to make it 3-2.
- Bryant had a chance to tie the game in the 8th and 9th but could not. The Bulldogs had two runners picked off in the eighth and stranded the tying run on second in the ninth.
- Bryant outhit UNCW, 7-4.
- The Bulldogs struck out 15 times in the game.
- Schoff allowed three runs (two earned) on four hits, walked three and struck out five over six innings.
- Jackson Harrigan (Acton, Mass.) retired all three batters he faced in the seventh.
- Jack Ipsen (Eatontown, N.J.) struck out the side in the eighth.
- James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) went 1-for-4 with a double.
- Gustin finished 1-for-3 with two RBI.
- Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) finished 2-for-4.
- Vincenzo Castronovo (Utica, N.Y.) also went 2-for-4.
- Tommy DiTullio (Pt. Pleasant, N.J.) collected his first-career hit.
Notes and Notables
- Saturday was the first-ever meeting between Bryant and UNC Wilmington.
- Schoff's outing was the longest of his career.
The Bulldogs wrap up their opening weekend on Sunday afternoon against UNC Wilmington. First pitch is at 2:00 p.m.