SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University baseball team heads to Atlanta for a three-game series against Georgia State this weekend. Game one of the series is set for 4:00 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
Opponents: Georgia State
Location: GSU Baseball Complex (Decatur, Ga.)
Date and Time: Feb. 21 – 4:00 p.m. | Feb. 22 – 2:00 p.m. | Feb. 23 – 1:00 p.m.
Live Stats: Stat Broadcast
Game Notes: Bryant
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | #NECBASE
Bryant will go with a similar rotation as last weekend. Junior Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) will get the ball on Friday afternoon, while classmate Tyler Schoff (Lee Center, N.Y.) will start Saturday and grad student Mason Palmieri (Lincoln, R.I.) will start Sunday. Mattison has allowed three runs or less in 11-straight starts dating back to last season, while Schoff matched his career-high with six innings last weekend. Palmieri also went six innings, allowing just three runs on three hits in his first career start.
Bryant vs. Georgia State
- Bryant and Georgia State will be meeting for the first time in program history.
Bulldog Notes and Notables
- The Bulldogs opened the season at the Seahawk Classic last weekend in Wilmington, N.C. Bryant dropped the opener 9-2 but the final three games were all decided by two runs or less.
- Bryant stole nine bases in the four games and committed just three errors defensively.
- Junior Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) posted four hits, including two doubles.
- Senior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) reached base at a .438 clip and also stole four bases.
- Both Bryant catchers, Gaby Cruz (Miami, Fla.) and Alex Lane (Andover, Mass.), homered on the weekend.
- The quintet of Matthew Stansky (Douglas, Mass.), John MacDonald (Stamford, Conn.), Jackson Harrigan (Acton, Mass.), Jack Ipsen (Eatontown, N.J.) and Mike Randazzo (Fairfield, Conn.) combined for 10 strikeouts and just one walk over 7.2 innings of relief.
Scouting the Panthers
- Georgia State opened the season with home victories over Cincinnati, St. John's and Saint Peters last weekend. GSU lost to Gardner-Webb, 10-8, on Wednesday afternoon.
- The Panthers clubbed 12 extra-base hits and averaged over 8.0 runs per game on the weekend.
- Elian Merejo went 7-for-11 with two doubles, two home runs, seven RBI and seven runs scored.