COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The Bryant University baseball team fell to Maryland, 14-3, on Friday afternoon at Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium.
Maryland 14, Bryant 3
Records: Bryant (2-9), Maryland (8-4)
Location: Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Sean Fisher | Tyler Mattison
- Bobby Zmarzlak extended Maryland's lead with a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth inning.
How it Happened
- Maryland ahead quickly, posting four runs in the bottom of the first. The first batters all recorded hits to plate the first two runs and Zmarzlak hit a two-run home run to make it 4-0.
- The Bulldogs cut the deficit in half in the third. Smith led off the inning with a first-pitch single and came around to score on a double from sophomore Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.). Gustin then stole third and scored on a sac fly from Kelly.
- In the fourth, a bunt single and two walks loaded the bases with no outs. After a pair of strikeouts, Zmarzlak hit a grand slam to dead center to make it 8-2.
- Kelly answered with a laser over the wall in left center in the top of the fifth.
- Maryland closed the scoring with a run in the fifth, three in the seventh and two in the eighth.
- Junior Tyler Mattison (Fort Ann, N.Y.) allowed eight runs on eight hits, walked five and struck out six over four innings.
- Grad student Mason Palmieri (Lincoln, R.I.) struck out two in a scoreless inning of work.
- Freshman Parker Hansen (Granby, Conn.) struck out two.
- Kelly finished 2-for-3 with a home run and two RBI.
- Smith was 2-for-3 with a double and a stolen base.
- Gustin doubled, drove in a run, scored a run and stole a base.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 2-11 all-time against Maryland.
- Gustin now has a team-high four doubles on the season.
- Kelly has now reached safely in 13-straight games dating back to last season.
- Kelly's home run was his second of the year and the 11th of his career.
- Kelly leads the Bulldogs with eight RBI on the year.
- Smith posted his first-career hit in his collegiate debut. It came on the first pitch of the at-bat.
Bryant and Maryland continue their weekend series on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is set for 2:00 p.m.