COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Freshman Derek Smith (Arundel, Maine) posted his second-straight two-hit game but the Bryant University baseball team was defeated by Maryland, 8-3, on Saturday afternoon.
Batting leadoff, Smith posted multiple hits for the second consecutive game in the series, finishing 2-for-5. Sophomore Jake Gustin (Peabody, Mass.) reached base four times with two hits and two walks, while senior James Ciliento (Mahwah, N.J.) drove in two.
Maryland 8, Bryant 3
Records: Bryant (2-10), Maryland (9-4)
Location: Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium (College Park, Md.)
W|L|S: Nick Dean (1-1) | Tyler Schoff (0-4) | Elliot Zoellner (1)
- Maryland turned a 4-0 advantage into a 7-0 lead with a three-run fifth. Randy Bednar had the big hit in the inning with a two-run double.
How it Happened
- Six-straight batters reached as Maryland scored three runs in the bottom of the first. The Terps scored on an RBI double and a pair of RBI singles.
- A bunt single made it 4-0 in the 4th and Bednar's double made it 6-0 in the fifth. Bednar came around to score on a sac fly.
- Bryant cut into the deficit with a three-run seventh. Freshman Tommy DiTullio (Pt. Pleasant, N.J.), Smith and Gustin singled to load the bases with no outs. DiTullio came around to score on a passed ball and Ciliento followed with a two-run single to make it 7-3.
- Maryland closed the scoring with a solo home run in the seventh.
- Bryant loaded the bases with one out in the ninth but a double play ended the game.
- Schoff allowed four runs on eight hits, walked four and struck out three over four innings.
- MacDonald allowed four runs on three hits, walked three and struck out three.
- Smith went 2-for-5 with a run scored.
- Gustin was 2-for-3 with two walks, a double and a run scored.
- Ciliento drove in two and stole a base.
- Bryant and Maryland both left 11 men on base.
Notes and Notables
- Bryant is now 2-12 all-time against Maryland.
- Gustin now has a team-high five doubles on the season.
- Junior Shane Kelly (Sewell, N.J.) has now reached safely in 14-straight games dating back to last season.
- Smith has posted multiple hits in each the first two games of his collegiate career.
- Ciliento now has nine stolen bases on the year.
Bryant and Maryland close their series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.