HIGH POINT, N.C. – Tyler Mattison, Liam LeVangie and Jack Ipsen combined on a two-hit shutout as the Bryant University baseball team opened the 2021 season with a 2-0 victory over High Point on Friday afternoon at Truist Point.
Mattison logged 5.0 scoreless innings in his third-straight Opening Day start, while LeVangie and Ipsen combined for 4.0 innings of hitless relief. Derek Smith drove in both Bryant runs and Matt Woods collected two hits and stole two bases.
Friday marked the first time in DI program history the Bulldogs have shutout a team on Opening Day.
- With the game scoreless, Tommy DiTullio led off the sixth with a double down the third base line. A bunt single moved him to third and a sac fly from Smith scored him.
- High Point put the tying run on third with two outs in the seventh but LeVangie induced a ground ball to first to end the threat.
How it Happened
- Both starters were dominant on Friday, as Mattison tossed 5.0 scoreless innings and Lyttle allowed just one run on three hits and struck out seven over 6.0 innings.
- The Bulldogs were able to break the deadlock in the sixth as DiTullio opened the inning with a double inside the third-base bag. Woods moved him to third with a bunt single and Smith followed with a sac fly to center.
- In the eighth, Brian Nicolas reached on an error and stole second with one out. Woods followed with a single to center to put runners on the corners and Smith brought home Nicolas with a sac fly to right.
- Taking over Mattison in the sixth, LeVangie and Ipsen combined to allow just two baserunners over the final four innings.
- Bryant finished with four hits and didn't commit an error.
- The Black and Gold also stole three bases.
- Mattison, LeVangie and Ipsen combined to allow just two hits, walk one and strikeout two.
- Mattison surrendered just two hits over 5.0 scoreless innings. He didn't walk a batter and struck out one.
- LeVangie tossed 3.0 innings of scoreless relief. He walked one and struck out one.
- Ipsen pitched a scoreless ninth to earn the save.
- Batting leadoff, Smith drove in both Bryant runs with a pair of sac flies.
- Liam McGill reached base twice in his Bryant debut, singling and drawing a walk.
- DiTullio finished 1-for-3 with a double and a run scored.
- Batting ninth, Woods went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases.
Notes and Notables
- Friday marked the first time in DI program history the Bulldogs have posted a shutout on Opening Day.
- Bryant improved to 5-8 on Opening Day in DI program history.
- Mattison improves to 15-6 in his career.
- LeVangie was making his Bryant debut. He missed all of last season with an injury.
- Making his 58th career appearance, Ipsen registered his third-career save. It was his first save since 2017.
- Woods has stolen seven bases over the last four games dating back to last year.
- Woods recorded his first-career multi-hit game and has reached safely in five-straight dating back to last year.
Bryant and High Point continue their series on Saturday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.