HIGH POINT, N.C. – Third-year sophomore Jake Gustin homered and drove in two but High Point was able to scratch across a run in the eighth to earn a 3-2 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Sunday afternoon at Williard Stadium.
Gustin tied the game twice, homering in the sixth and doubling home a run in the eighth but the Panthers avoided the sweep. High Point loaded the bases with a walk, single and an intentional walk in the eighth. A ground ball double play brought home the decisive run.
High Point 3, Bryant 2
Records: Bryant (2-1), High Point (1-2)
Location: Truist Point (High Point, N.C.)
W|L|S: Chris Apecechea (1-0) | Luke Garofalo (0-1) | -
- Gustin tied the game twice, homering in the sixth and drilling a two-out double in the eighth.
- High Point scored the game-winning run in the eighth on a double-play ball.
How it Happened
- High Point grabbed the lead with a two-out rally in the fifth. Adam Stuart singled with two outs, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on a single from Justin Wilkins.
- Gustin tied the game in the next half inning, hammering a 2-2 pitch over the right field wall for his first home run of the season.
- The Panthers answered in the next inning. Joe Johnson tripled with one out and came home on a two-out single from Sam Zayicek.
- In the eighth, Matt Woods fell behind 0-2 but was able to work a walk. He then stole second and scored as Gustin doubled to the base of the wall in right center.
- HPU was able to break the tie in the bottom of the eighth. A walk and a single put runners on the corners with no outs. After the runner advanced to second, Bryant intentionally walked Johnson to load the bases. Charlie Klingler then hit into a 6-3 double play but the runner from third was able to score.
- In the ninth, the Bulldogs put the leadoff runner on but could not advance him.
- High Point outhit Bryant, 7-5.
- Bryant and High Point played error-free baseball.
- Gustin finished 2-for-4 with a double, home run and two RBI.
- McGill reached base four times, going 3-for-3 with a walk.
- Woods walked, stole a base and scored a run.
- Schoff struck out six and allowed just one run on four hits over 5.0 innings. He didn't walk a batter.
- Luke Garofalo took the loss, allowing two runs on three hits over 2.0 innings of relief. He walked one and struck out three.
Notes and Notables
- Schoff finished with a career-high six strikeouts.
- Gustin hit his third-career home run. He finished the weekend 4-for-12 with two doubles, a home run and four RBI.
- McGill went 4-for-9 with a .538 OBP on the weekend.
- Woods has reached safely in seven-straight dating back to last year.
- Bryant's pitching staff struck out 20, walked six and allowed just 19 hits on the weekend.
Bryant and High Point wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.