CONWAY, S.C. – The Bryant University baseball team fell to Coastal Carolina, 8-1, on Friday afternoon at Springs Brooks Stadium.
Austin Wainer and Brett Wichrwoski both made their collegiate debuts in the loss. Wainer struck out three in the bottom of the seventh and fellow freshman Brett Wichrowski followed that up by striking out a pair in the bottom of the eighth.
Coastal Carolina 8, Bryant 1
Records: Bryant (2-2), Coastal Carolina (3-2)
Location: Spring Brooks Stadium (Myrtle Beach, S.C.)
W|L|S: Jacob Maton (1-1) | Tyler Mattison (1-1)
- Coastal Carolina hit a grand slam in the bottom of the fourth to take a six-run lead.
How it Happened
- Coastal scored the first run of the game on a single in the 3rd inning.
- In the fourth inning, Coastal scored their second run of the game on a wild pitch. They followed that up with a grand slam to take a 6-0 lead.
- The Chanticleers hit an RBI single down the right-field line to increase their lead to seven in the bottom of the seventh (7-0).
- The Bulldogs scored their only run of the night in the top of the eighth inning on an RBI single from James Ciliento. Liam McGill hit a double to get into scoring position.
- Coastal scored the final run of the game on a one-out double to left in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Bryant out hit Coastal 12-11.
- McGill led the way with three hits. Smith and Gustin both had two hits.
- Five Bulldogs has one hit today.
- Tyler Mattison had three strikeouts in the loss.
- Austin Wainer and Brett Wichrowski made their collegiate debuts this afternoon. Wainer had three strikeouts and Wichrowski struck out a pair.
- LeVangie also had two strikeouts on the day.
- The Bulldogs left 10 runners on base.
- The Bulldogs are now 0-3 all-time against Coastal Carolina.
- Sam Sinisgalli posted his first-career hit in the contest.
The Black and Gold will play game two of the CCU Baseball Tournament on Saturday against Kennesaw St. First pitch at 11:00 a.m.