CONWAY, S.C. – The Bryant University baseball team nearly rallied from a 7-0 deficit on Saturday afternoon, but the potential tying run was thrown out at the plate to end the game as the Bulldogs fell to Kennesaw St., 7-6.
Bryant scored four times in the fifth and twice in the eighth to make it a one-run game entering the ninth. Jake Gustin kept the Bulldogs alive with a two-out single before advancing to second on a wild pitch. Liam McGill then singled to left but Gustin was thrown out at the plate to end the game.
McGill finished the day 3-for-4 with two RBI, while Michael Stellato also drove in a pair of runs. Bryant's relief trio of John MacDonald, Michael Randazzo and Kevin Gould combined to toss 4.0 scoreless innings to keep the game tight.
Kennesaw St. 7, Bryant 6
Records: Bryant (2-3), Kennesaw St. (4-2)
Location: Springs Brooks Stadium (Conway, S.C.)
W|L|S: Rice | Vito Morgese (0-1) | Johnson
- Kennesaw St. received a two-run double from Terence Norman in the bottom of the first to open the scoring for KSU.
- The Owls then thwarted Bryant's attempt to tie the game, throwing out the tying run at the plate to end the game.
How it Happened
- The Owls scored all seven of their runs in the first four innings. Norman's two-run double opened the scoring and he eventually came around on a wild pitch to make it 3-0.
- An RBI single and an infield error accounted for two runs in the second. A pair of sac flies closed the scoring for KSU.
- Bryant started its rally with a four-run fifth. Stellato walked with one out and the Bulldogs followed with three-consecutive singles to bring in the first run. A HBP plated the second and McGill followed with a two-run single to make it 7-4.
- In the eighth, a single and an infield error put two runners on. Stellato then plated both with a two-out, two-run single.
- Gustin then gave the Bulldogs a final hope with his ninth-inning single. After a wild pitch, Gustin's mad dash home was stymied by a good relay from the Owls.
- Bryant outhit Kennesaw St., 9-8.
- McGill finished 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
- Stellato was 1-for-3 with two RBI.
- Morgese suffered the loss, allowing five runs (three earned) on three hits over 2.0 innings.
- Christian Allegretti made his Bryant debut, tossing 2.0 innings of relief. He allowed two runs on three hits and struck out two.
- MacDonald recorded two outs in the fifth, with Randazzo recording the final out.
- Gould closed out the game on the mound for the Bulldogs, tossing 3.0 scoreless innings. He walked one and struck out four.
Notes and Notables
- McGill has now posted three-straight three-hit games and is 10-for-17 on the year.
- Stellato drove in his first runs as a Bulldog in the game.
- Bryant and Kennesaw St. were meeting for the first time.
Bryant closes out the weekend on Sunday morning against No. 23 West Virginia. First pitch is set for 11:00 a.m.