KINGSTON, R.I. – Tyler Schoff struck out five and allowed just one hit over 4.0 innings but Rhode Island was able to rally for a 6-4 victory over the Bryant University baseball team on Sunday afternoon at Bill Beck Field.
Bryant scored three times in the top of the first but the Rams scored two runs in each of the fourth, fifth and sixth innings for the win.
Making his third start, Schoff allowed two unearned runs on one hit, walked one and struck out five. Derek Smith, James Ciliento, Michael Stellato and Tommy DiTullio all finished with two hits. Liam McGill and Stellato each drove in a pair of runs.
Rhode Island 6, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant (2-6), URI (7-5)
Location: Bill Beck Field (Kingston, R.I.)
- URI tied the game with a two-run infield single in the fifth.
How it Happened
- Bryant opened the game with three runs in the top of the first. Jake Gustin moved Smith to third with a double and McGill brought home both with a two-run single. Stellato capped the inning with a sac fly.
- Schoff set down the first 10 batters he faced before an infield error sparked a two-run rally for URI in the fourth. A second infield error brought home the first run and a wild pitch made it 3-2.
- Bryant responded in the top of the fifth as Ciliento singled, stole second and scored on a single from Stellato.
- URI erased the deficit in the bottom half of the inning. A walk and a double put runners in scoring position before Max Mircovich drove in two with an infield single.
- The Rams grabbed the lead the following inning as Sonny Ulliana drove in Xavier Vargas with a double. A two-out single made it 6-4.
- Bryant outhit URI, 12-6.
- Schoff struck out five, walked just one and allowed one hit over 4.0 innings.
- Smith went 2-for-4 with a run scored and a walk.
- McGill finished 1-for-5 with a pair of RBI.
- Ciliento went 2-for-5 with a stolen base and a run scored.
- Stellato finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.
- DiTullio posted two hits.
- Sam Sinisgalli registered his first-career double.
- Schoff has now struck out 18 and walked just two in 15.0 innings this year.
- Stellato posted his first multi-hit game as a Bulldog. He now has two games of two RBI.
The Bulldogs travel to Northeast on Tuesday. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.