SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Rhode Island natives Brandon Taylor and Matt Woods sparked a five-run sixth inning as the Bryant University baseball team earned a 12-1 victory over Wagner on Thursday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Taylor broke a 1-1 tie with a double to right-center and Woods followed with a three-run home run, his first collegiate long ball, to make it 5-1 in the sixth. Bryant went on to score six in the eighth to improve to 7-0 in Northeast Conference play.
Tyler Mattison earned his fourth victory, allowing one run (unearned) over 8.0 innings of four-hit ball. He didn't walk a batter and struck out five. Christian Allegretti struck out two in a perfect ninth to close the door.
Bryant 12, Wagner 1
Records: Bryant (9-7-1, 7-0 NEC), Wagner (4-8, 2-5 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (4-2) | Ryan Lauk (1-3)
- With two swings of the bat, Taylor and Woods turned a 1-1 tie into a 5-1 Bryant lead in the 6th.
How it Happened
- Wagner plated the first run of the game on a sac fly in the third.
- Bryant was able to tie the score in the fourth. Liam McGill walked and moved to third on a single from Damaurys Rodriguez. Tommy DiTullio tied the game with an RBI ground out.
- In the sixth, Rodriguez singled and DiTullio reached on an error to set up Taylor. Celebrating his birthday, Taylor doubled to right center to make it 2-1. Wagner made a pitching change and Woods hit the first pitch over the right field wall to make it 5-1. McGill added a sac fly to complete the inning.
- A pair of home runs highlighted a six-run eighth. Gustin and Castronovo both hit two-run home runs in the inning. Derek Smith added an RBI single and the final run scored on a fielding error.
- Bryant outhit Wagner, 13-4.
- Mattison allowed an unearned run on four hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out five over 8.0 innings.
- Allegretti struck out two in a scoreless ninth.
- Woods finished 2-for-3 with two walks, three RBI and three runs scored.
- Smith went 2-for-6 with an RBI.
- Ciliento finished 2-for-4 with a run.
- Gustin homered and drove in two.
- Rodriguez collected a pair of hits.
- Castronovo hit a two-run home run.
- Bryant is now 33-13 all-time against Wagner.
- Thursday was just the seventh time in the series that a matchup was decided by more than four runs.
- Ryan Klosterman earned his first victory at Conaty Park.
- McGill has reached safely in 17-straight games.
- Gustin posted his ninth multi-hit game of the year and his third home run.
- Woods hit his first-career home run and drove in a career-high three runs.
- Ciliento moved into 7th all-time in runs scored with 159.
- Mattison pitched a career-high 8.0 innings.
- Mattison improved to 12-2 in 19 appearances (16 starts) against NEC opponents.
- Mattison has struck out 22 and not walked a batter in three league starts this season.
- Mattison now has 18 career wins, tied for sixth-most in DI program history.
Bryant and Wagner continue their series on Friday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.