SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Vito Morgese struck out a career-high 11 batters but Wagner College was able to scratch across three late runs to salvage the final game of the weekend series at Conaty Park on Saturday afternoon.
Morgese was saddled with a no decision after punching out 11 over 6.0 innings of one-run ball. He allowed just two hits and walked one. It was his longest outing since he went 7.0 innings against Toledo on March 17, 2019.
Wagner 4, Bryant 1
Records: Bryant (10-8-1, 8-1 NEC), Wagner (5-9, 3-6 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Kevin Wiseman (1-0) | Liam LeVangie (0-1)
- Wagner performed a double steal to put men in scoring position and Jake Lutz delivered a two-run single through the left side in the seventh.
How it Happened
- Saturday's game cruised through the first four-plus innings.
- Nicolas lit a spark for Bryant in the fifth, doubling to left center. A ground out moved him to third and Smith scored him with a single through the left side.
- Wagner was able to tie the game in the top of the sixth as AJ Medrano singled, stole second and third and scored on an infield single with two outs.
- The Seahawks then plated two runs in the seventh. After the double steal, Lutz was able to get enough on it to knock it by the left side of Bryant's drawn-in infield for a two-run single. Henry Martinez scored on a Bryant error in the eighth to close the scoring.
- Both teams finished with four hits.
- Morgese struck out 11, walked one and allowed just one run on two hits over 6.0 innings.
- Christian Allegretti struck out four over 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- Smith drove in a run.
- Nicolas doubled and scored a run.
- Bryant is now 34-14 all-time against Wagner.
- McGill has reached safely in 19-straight games.
- Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to nine-straight games.
- Allegretti has now struck out 17 in 11.2 innings of relief.
Bryant hits the road for a pair of midweek games, starting with a Tuesday afternoon matchup with UConn. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m. in Storrs.