KINGSTON, R.I. – Kevin Gould struck out back-to-back batters to strand the tying runs in the bottom of the ninth as the Bryant University baseball team held on to defeat Rhode Island, 10-7, on Wednesday afternoon.
Bryant used an eight-run third inning to build a 9-3 lead and then held its breath and Gould struck out Tino Salgado and Austin White to strand the bases loaded in the ninth.
Austin Wainer delivered 4.0 scoreless innings of relief to earn his first-career victory. He allowed two hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out five.
- Gould entered with the bases-loaded and one out in the ninth and proceeded to strikeout the next two batters to end the game.
How it Happened
- McGill gave Bryant a 1-0 lead with a solo home run in the top of the first.
- The Rams grabbed the lead with three runs in the bottom of the first. A solo home run tied the game and a two-run double made it 3-1.
- Bryant erased the deficit with an eight-run third inning. Matt Woods doubled to put a man on and then Bryant collected six two-out hits to do the damage. Back-to-back doubles from Jake Gustin and McGill tied the game and Derek Smith gave Bryant the lead with an RBI single.
- Damaurys Rodriguez and Castronovo kept the inning going with back-to-back RBI singles and Nicolas delivered the big blow with a two-run triple. Nicolas scored the final run of the inning on a wild pitch.
- URI plated three in the fourth on a two-run triple and a fielder's choice to make it 9-6.
- Woods made it 10-6 with an RBI single in the top of the fifth.
- Wainer took over from there, stranding a runner at second in the fifth and tossing a perfect sixth. He closed his day by striking out the side, including back-to-back hitters with a man on third, in the seventh.
- Will Treuel then worked out of a dicey situation in the eighth, retiring three-straight Rams to strand runners on second and third.
- In the ninth, URI plated a run and loaded the bases with one out. Gould was summoned and struck out both batters he faced to end the game.
- McGill finished 3-for-5 with a home run, a double, two RBI and two runs scored.
- Castronovo went 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored.
- Woods collected two hits and reached safely three times.
- Batting fifth for the first time in his career, DiTullio reached safely three times.
- Nicolas had two hits, including a triple, and drove in two.
- Liam LeVangie allowed three runs on five hits, walked two and struck out two over 2.1 innings in his first-career start.
- Wainer tossed 4.0 scoreless innings, allowing just two hits. He didn't walk a batter and struck out five.
- Treuel tossed a scoreless eighth.
- Gould struck out both batters he faced to earn the save.
- Bryant finished its season series with URI 1-2-1.
- Nicolas collected his first-career triple.
- McGill drove in his team-leading 28th and 29th runs of the year and hit his team-leading fifth home run.
- McGill extended his on-base streak to 21 games. He's reached in every game this year.
- Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
- Wainer registered career-highs in innings pitched and strikeouts.
Bryant welcomes Fairleigh Dickinson to Conaty Park for a three-game series this weekend. The series begins Friday at 3:00 p.m.