SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Tyler Mattison struck out a Division I program record 15 batters in game one and Derek Smith hit a pair of home runs in game two as the Bryant University baseball team swept a doubleheader from Fairleigh Dickinson on Saturday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Bryant won game one 14-0 and earned the sweep with a 19-10 victory in game two. The Bulldogs improved to 13-9-1 overall and lead the NEC with a 10-1 record.
Mattison produced one of the most dominant starts in Bryant history to open the day, striking out 15 over 8.0 scoreless innings. He allowed just four hits and didn't walk a batter for the fourth-straight NEC start. Mattison's 15 strikeout surpassed the previous record of 13 that was held by both James Karinchak and Eric Polvani.
James Ciliento also etched his named into the Bryant record books, tying a single-game record with five hits in game one. He added two more in the nightcap to round out a big day. Smith and Vincenzo Castronovo provided the pop in game two, combining for six hits, three home runs, eight RBI and six runs scored.
Game 1: Bryant 14, Fairleigh Dickinson 0
Game 2: Bryant 19, Fairleigh Dickinson 10
Records: Bryant (13-9-1, 10-1 NEC), FDU (3-13, 2-9 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
Game 1: W|L|S: Tyler Mattison (5-2) | Chris Quijano (0-2)
Game 2: W|L|S: Tyler Schoff (4-0) | Marc Bisogno (0-3)
Key Moment (Game One)
- Mattison allowed a leadoff single but then struck out the next three hitters in the first, setting the tone for his dominant outing.
How it Happened (Game One)
- Matt Woods opened the game with a hustle double and scored on an RBI single from Ciliento.
- Woods then pushed across two runs in the second with a two-out two-run single.
- In the third, Tommy DiTullio drove in a run with a sac fly and Vincenzo Castronovo made it 5-0.
- Woods tripled in the fourth and came around to score on a Ciliento single.
- Castronovo then tripled and scored on a Sam Sinisgalli single in the fifth.
- Bryant extended the lead with three runs in the sixth and seventh. An RBI double from Ciliento and an RBI single from Derek Smith scored runs in the sixth, while Ciliento added another RBI double in the seventh.
Stats (Game One)
- Bryant outhit FDU, 19-4.
- Mattison struck out 15 and didn't walk a batter over 8.0 scoreless innings.
- Logan Frasier struck out two in a scoreless ninth.
- Ciliento finished 5-for-6 with two doubles, four RBI and three runs scored.
- Woods went 4-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored.
- Sinisgalli finished 3-of-4 with an RBI and two runs.
- Smith, Castronovo and Damaurys Rodriguez all finished with two hits.
Key Moment (Game Two)
- With the Bulldogs leading 3-2 in the third, Smith worked a 10-pitch at-bat, homering on the 10th pitch to spark a three-run inning.
How it Happened (Game Two)
- FDU grabbed a 1-0 lead on a solo home run in the top of the first.
- Bryant answered with three runs in the bottom of the first. Woods beat out a bunt single and came around to score on an RBI single from Gustin. Ciliento followed with an RBI triple to dead center and scored on a wild pitch.
- The Knights pushed across an unearned run in the second to make it 3-2.
- In the third, Smith fouled off several pitches before launching the 10th of the at-bat well over the left field wall. DiTullio followed with a triple to right center and Castronovo hammered the first pitch of his at-bat on the softball field in right to make it 6-2.
- The Knights scored a run in the top of the fourth but Brandon Taylor turned a nifty inning-ending 3-6 double play to end the rally.
- Ciliento then manufactured a run himself in the fourth. He beat out a bunt single, advanced to second on a ground out and then scored all way from second on a wild pitch.
- FDU made things interesting, scoring once in the fifth and twice in the sixth to make it 7-6.
- The Black and Gold answered with three runs in the bottom of the sixth. Castronovo was hit with the base loaded and Rodriguez followed with a two-run single to make it 10-6.
- FDU had one last gasp, scoring three times in the top of the seventh to make it an 11-9 game.
- Smith had other ideas, however, thumping a two-run shot to left center. Rodriguez added an RBI single to make it 14-9.
- Gustin added an RBI double and scored on a wild pitch in the 8th. Castronovo then drove home two with a triple to left center and scored on a ground out from Rodriguez.
Stats (Game Two)
- Tyler Schoff allowed six runs (four earned) on seven hits over 6.0 innings. He walked one and struck out three.
- Smith went 4-for-6 with two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored.
- Rodriguez finished with three hits and four RBI.
- Castronovo tripled, homered, drove in five and was hit by a pitch three times.
- Gustin had three hits, two RBI and four runs scored, while DiTullio had two hits and four runs.
- Ciliento had two hits and scored three times.
- Mattison struck out a DI single-game program record 15 batters. The previous record was 13 and was held by James Karinchak and Eric Polvani.
- Mattison has now struck out 37 and not issued a walk in 28.0 innings against NEC foes.
- Mattison is now 13-2 in 20 appearances (17 starts) against NEC teams in his career.
- Mattison earned his 19th career victory, moving him into sole possession of sixth place in DI program history.
- Ciliento posted the 11th five-hit game in DI program history. He's the 10th different player to accomplish the feat.
- Ciliento now has 222 career hits, just the sixth player in DI program history with 220+.
- Frasier was making his first appearance as a Bulldog after transferring from the State College of Florida.
- Sinisgalli posted his second three-hit game of the year in game one.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 13-straight games.
- Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to 13 games.
- Castronovo finished the doubleheader with four hits, two triples, a home run, six RBI and four runs scored.
Bryant and FDU wrap up their series on Sunday. First pitch will be at 11:00 a.m.