NEW BRITAIN, Conn. – Liam McGill homered twice and the Bryant University baseball team scored twice in the top of the ninth to win game one, 8-6, on Saturday afternoon. Central Connecticut earned a split of the doubleheader with a 13-5 victory in game two.
Bryant's victory in game one secured a series victory for the Black and Gold.
McGill posted his third multi-homer game of the season, going 3-for-4 with three RBI and three runs scored. Damaurys Rodriguez added three hits and John MacDonald and Kevin Gould delivered excellent relief pitching in the win. The duo combined to toss 4.2 shutout innings.
The Bulldogs then scored three times in the first inning of game two but the Blue Devils scored the next nine runs on the way to the doubleheader split.
Game 1: Bryant 8, Central Connecticut 6
Game 2: Central Connecticut 13, Bryant 5
Records: Bryant (16-10-1, 13-2 NEC), CCSU (15-9, 12-6 NEC)
Location: CCSU Baseball Field (New Britain, Conn.)
W|L|S GM1: Kevin Gould (3-1) | Dylan Sabia (1-2)
W|L|S GM2: Anthony Mozzicato (3-1) | Vito Morgese (1-2)
Key Moment (Game 1)
- Bryant scored twice in the top of the ninth to break a 6-6 tie.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- Bryant opened the first game of the doubleheader with four runs in the first. Woods singled on the first pitch and moved to third as the ball was misplayed. He would score two batters later on an infield single from Ciliento. McGill would follow with an RBI single and Rodriguez capped the inning with a two-out, two-run single up the middle.
- CCSU was able to counter with an unearned run in the bottom of the first. A throwing error put a runner on and two singles brought him home.
- McGill extended Bryant's lead with one swing in the third, launching his team-leading sixth home run of the year to left.
- The Blue Devils were able to tie the game with four runs in the bottom of the fifth. Sam Loda drove in two with a single and Dan Hussey tied the game with a single.
- McGill gave Bryant the lead right back with a long home run to left field in the top of the sixth.
- The Blue Devils were able to tie the game in the bottom of the eighth on a wild pitch. Kevin Gould kept the game tied, stranding a runner at third with a strikeout.
- In the top of the ninth, Rodriguez singled up the middle to start the inning and advanced to second on a balk. He was moved to third with a sac bunt. Brian Nicolas then hit a ground ball to third and Rodriguez was able to beat the throw home to make it 7-6. Gustin delivered an RBI single two batters later to make it 8-6.
- Gould then closed out the win with a pair of strikeouts in a perfect ninth.
Stats (Game 1)
- Bryant outhit CCSU, 11-7.
- McGill went 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs, three RBI and three runs scored.
- Rodriguez also finished 3-for-4, driving in two.
- Woods finished 2-for-4.
- Tyler Schoff surrendered five runs (four earned) on seven hits over 4.1 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
- John MacDonald delivered 2.2 innings of scoreless relief. He didn't allow a hit or a walk and struck out two.
- Gould earned the win after working the final two innings. He struck out four.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- Jay Devito clubbed a two-run double to spark a five-run sixth inning.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- Bryant scored three runs in the top of the first. Smith brought home two with a double and Shane Kelly made it 3-0 with an RBI single.
- The Blue Devils answered with two runs in the bottom of the inning on a two-run single from Sam Loda.
- CCSU scored twice in the fourth to take the lead. Michael Torniero tied the game and Dan Covino made it 4-3.
- The Blue Devils then pushed across five runs in the sixth. Devito and Loda each delivered two-run doubles.
- CCSU would add three more in the seventh and one more in the eighth.
Stats (Game 2)
- CCSU outhit Bryant, 15-12.
- Smith had two hits and two RBI.
- Rodriguez finished 2-for-4.
- Kelly went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Ciliento now has 228 career hits.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 17-straight games.
- McGill posted his third multi-homer game of the year. He has a team-high seven.
- Rodriguez finished the doubleheader with five hits.
The Bulldogs return to Conaty Park on Tuesday afternoon when they host Army. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m.