Ciliento went 2-for-4 with seven RBI, tying the Bryant Division I single-game record for RBI. Rodriguez's first-career grand slam extended his hitting streak to 17 games. Matt Woods and Jake Gustin combined to score six runs, with Woods hitting his second home run of the year.
Jack Halbruner earned his first collegiate win with 3.0 scoreless innings of relief. He allowed just two hits, didn't walk a batter and struck out two. Austin Wainer added a scoreless seventh and Christian Allegretti pitched the Bulldogs out of a jam in the eighth.
Bryant 16, Army 8
Records: Bryant (17-10-1), Army (17-17)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Jack Halbruner (1-0) | Ben DeLaubell (0-4)
- Woods broke a 7-7 tie with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third.
How it Happened
- Army grabbed the lead with two runs on four hits in the top of the first.
- Bryant responded with two of its own in the bottom half. Two walks and a infield pop up that fell for a single loaded the bases. Ciliento then tied the game with a two-run single to center.
- The Black Knights answered with three more runs in the top of the second on RBIs from Hunter Meade, Carter Macias and Sam Ruta.
- Bryant had another answer, scoring five times in the bottom of the second. Liam McGill plated the first run with a single and Ciliento hit a laser over the wall in right center for a grand slam two batters later, giving Bryant a 7-5 lead.
- Army tied the game in the top of the third on a two-out, two-run triple from Kevin Dubrule.
- The pendulum swung back to Bryant's favor in the bottom of the third as Woods launched a deep home run to the left of the scoreboard to make it 9-7.
- Bryant added a pair of two-out runs in the fourth. Shane Kelly's sinking liner to right fell out of the glove of a diving right fielder to extend the inning. Vincenzo Castronovo followed with a triple to the base of the wall in center and Tommy DiTullio scored Castronovo with an RBI single.
- The Bulldogs closed their scoring with five runs in the fifth. Ciliento was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Rodriguez followed with his first collegiate grand slam to make it 16-7.
- Army outhit Bryant, 15-13.
- Ciliento went 2-for-4 with a grand slam and seven RBI.
- Rodriguez hit a grand slam.
- Woods homered and finished 2-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored.
- Gustin had two hits, walked three times and scored three runs.
- McGill posted two hits, walked twice and scored twice.
- DiTullio posted two hits and an RBI.
- Logan Frasier allowed two runs on four hits over 1.2 innings.
- Halbruner allowed two hits and struck out two over 3.0 scoreless innings.
- Wainer tossed a scoreless seventh.
- Allegretti allowed a run over 0.2 innings.
- Will Treuel recorded the final three outs.
- Ciliento now has 230 career hits.
- Ciliento tied the DI single-game program record for RBI. He ties Jimmy Titus, Nick Campbell and Jeff Vigurs for the program record.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 18-straight games.
- Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to 17 games.
- Rodriguez hit his first-career home run.
- Halbruner earned his first-career victory with a career-high 3.0 innings.
The Bulldogs return to Northeast Conference action this weekend, hosting LIU in a three-game series.