SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Long Island University scored seven times in the first two innings and went on to a 8-3 victory over the Bryant University baseball team Saturday afternoon at Conaty Park.
Bryant and LIU have now split the first two games of the series. The rubber game will be on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.
The Black and Gold mustered committed five errors in Saturday's loss. Liam McGill had three hits for the Black and Gold.
Long Island 8, Bryant 3
Records: Bryant (18-11-1, 14-3 NEC), LIU (14-10, 12-8 NEC)
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W|L|S: Joshua Loeschorn (1-0) | Tyler Schoff (4-1)
- The Sharks jumped ahead and never looked back with four runs in the first.
How it Happened
- LIU jumped out to a quick lead, scoring four times on four hits in the first. The first two batters singled, with the first run scoring on a throwing error. EJ Exposito made it 2-0 with an RBI single, an RBI ground out scored the third run and Colin Adams made it 4-0 with a single to left.
- Bryant got a run back in the bottom of the first as Gustin scored on a wild pitch with two outs.
- The Sharks tacked on three more in the top of the second. A single and a walk opened the inning and Anthony Warneke brought home a run with a single. Exposito brought home the second run and the final run of the inning scored on a failed run down between third and home.
- Bryant was able to make a nice defensive play to end an LIU threat in the fifth. With one out and the bases loaded, Cade Biddle hit a blooper over the head of Tommy DiTullio at short. DiTullio turned back and initially made the catch but the ball came free as he went to the ground. From his butt, DiTullio alertly threw to second for the force out. Gustin then fired home to get the third out.
- The Black and Gold mustered a late rally, scoring twice in the eighth. McGill singled and Derek Smith doubled to start the inning before Damaurys Rodriguez singled home a run. Brian Nicolas also added an RBI single in the inning.
- LIU would add an insurance run in the top of the ninth to complete the scoring.
- Bryant had just seven hits and committed five errors.
- Tyler Schoff allowed seven runs (five earned) on 10 hits over 5.0 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
- Logan Frasier tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief.
- Matt Woods collected a pair of doubles.
- McGill finished 3-for-5.
- Rodriguez and Nicolas each drove in a run.
- Gustin has now reached safely in 20-straight games.
- Rodriguez extended his hitting streak to 19 games.
- McGill has reached safely in all 25 games he's played this season.
The Bulldogs and Sharks wrap up their series on Sunday. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m.