Ninth inning rally earns baseball a split on Sunday
BROOKVILLE, N.Y. – Derek Smith's two-out, three-run double in the top of the ninth salvaged a split of Sunday's doubleheader as the Bryant University baseball team came from behind to earn a 5-3 victory over LIU.
Bryant dropped game one of Sunday's doubleheader, 8-4, but avoided a sweep with the 5-3 win in game two. The Bulldogs are tied for third place in the NEC standings.
Game 1: LIU 8, Bryant 4
Game 2: Bryant 5, LIU 3
Records: Bryant 22-23, 12-9 NEC | LIU 29-16, 14-7 NEC
Location: LIU Baseball Field (Brookville, N.Y.)
Game 1: W|L|S: Josh Loeschorn (9-2) | Brett Wichrowski (1-1)
Game 2: W|L|S: Christian Allegretti (2-2) | Josh Gainer
Key Moment (Game 1)
- The Sharks scored six times in the third inning to break it open.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- LIU broke open a scoreless game with a six-run third inning. The Sharks loaded the bases with two singles and a walk, with Giovanni Ciaccio bringing in two runs with a double to right center. After an HBP reloaded the bases, Carlton Harper doubled home two more. LIU closed the scoring with an RBI infield single and a bases-loaded walk.
- Bryant was able to answer back in the top of the fourth, taking advantage of an LIU error. Facing a 1-2 count with two outs, Tuccillo lifted a three-run home run to left field to make it 6-3.
- The Sharks hit a leadoff home run in the bottom of the fourth to make it 7-3. An unearned run made it 8-3 in the eighth.
- Bryant had its best chance to rally in the seventh, loading the bases with one out. A strikeout and a pop up ended the threat.
Stats (Game 1)
- Brett Wichrowski allowed six runs (four earned) on four hits, walked three and struck out one in 2.1 innings.
- Jackson Vanesko allowed one run and walked five in 2.0 innings of relief.
- Liam LeVangie tossed 3.2 innings of scoreless relief. He allowed just one hit, walked two and struck out one.
- Tuccillo hit a three-run home run. He now has three home runs on the year.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- Trailing 3-1 in the ninth, Smith cleared the bases with a two-out, three-run double to give the Black and Gold the lead.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- LIU grabbed the lead with two runs in the fourth.
- Bryant answered in the fifth with an RBI single from Matt Woods.
- The Sharks extended their lead with an unearned run in eighth.
- In the ninth, Jackson Phinney was hit by a pitch and Alex Lane walked to put the first two runners on. After a wild pitch, Woods was intentionally walked to load the bases. A line out to left recorded the second out to bring Smith to the plate. Smith laced the first pitch he saw into the left-center, clearing the bases and giving Bryant its first lead of the weekend. Kelly followed with an RBI single to make it 5-3.
Stats (Game 2)
- Logan Frasier struck out six over 4.0 innings. He allowed two runs on six hits.
- Coleman Picard tossed 3.0 scoreless innings. He allowed one hit and struck out three.
- Allegretti earned the win in relief. He allowed one unearned run over 2.0 innings.
- Kelly finished 3-for-5 with an RBI.
- Smith drove in three with his bases-clearing double in the ninth.
- Woods walked three times.
Bryant will welcome Central Connecticut to Conaty Park for a three-game series starting Friday.