Bulldogs fall to LIU, 6-4, in 13 innings
NORWICH, Conn. – Top-seeded Long Island University scored twice in the top of the 13th inning to earn a dramatic 6-4 victory over the second-seeded Bryant University baseball team in the longest Northeast Conference Baseball Tournament in league history.
Bryant and LIU threw a first pitch on Friday, May 27 at 3:00 p.m. and had play halted with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the 11th. The teams resumed play on Saturday, May 28 and finished at 3:15 p.m.
The Bulldogs will now face third-seeded Central Connecticut in an elimination game on Saturday afternoon. LIU advances to Sunday's NEC Championship Round.
Bryant trailed 3-1 entering the bottom of the ninth inning but rallied to score twice with two outs to tie the game. LIU would retake the lead in the 12th but Bryant scored to tie it before leaving the bases loaded. Carlton Harper's in the top of the 13th broke the tie. Bryant put the tying runs on base in the 13th but NEC Pitcher of the Year Josh Loeschorn came on to get a strikeout to end the game.
LIU 6, Bryant 4
Records: Bryant 28-26 | LIU 36-18
Location: Dodd Stadium (Norwich, Conn.)
W|L|S: Shane Tucker (1-1) | Kyle Rizy (2-2) | Josh Loeschorn (1)
- Harper broke a 4-4 tie with a two-run single in the top of the 13th.
How it Happened
- The game went to the fourth inning scoreless. Collin Lowe stranded two runners in each of the first three innings.
- In the fourth, Chris Hund drove the first pitch he saw down the left field line for a two-run home run. The ball just snuck inside the pole and was reviewed and upheld.
- LIU looked to extend its lead in the seventh, loading the bases with one out. Tommy DiTullio, however, made a diving grab to his left at third to take away a hit. Logan Allen then ranged up the middle and flipped to Jake Gustin covering to end the inning.
- Bryant cut into the deficit in the bottom half of the seventh, taking advantage of an LIU throwing error. Allen reached on the error to start the inning and raced to third on a single by Matt Woods. Gustin followed with an RBI single through the right side. Nick Torres, however, retired the next three batters to end the rally.
- With two outs and no one on in the eighth, an HBP and a walk gave Bryant life. LIU reliever Nick DeSalvo, however, struck out Woods to end the threat.
- LIU added a key insurance run in the ninth as Giovanni Ciaccio walked and scored from first on a Chris Wasson double. Shane Kelly nearly made a great diving catch on the play.
- Bryant was able to rally with two outs in the ninth to tie the game. Gustin walked and advanced on a wild pitch. Kelly then laced a 1-1 pitch into right center for an RBI double. Tuccillo followed with a seeing-eye single up the middle on a 1-2 pitch to score pinch-runner Matt Smith from second with the tying run.
- Rizy came on and induced a ground ball out to leave the bases loaded in the 11th inning.
- Hund's second home run of the game made it 4-3 in the top of the 12th.
- In the bottom of the inning, Allen walked and moved to third on a Woods single. Gustin followed with a single to tie the game at 4-4. Bryant would load the bases with one out but Shane Tucker would get back-to-back strikeouts to end the rally.
- In the 13th, an infield single and a throwing error put the first two on. A sac bunt advanced the runners and Harper made it 6-4 with a single through the drawn-in infield.
- In the home half of the 13th, Bryant put runners on first and second with one out. Loeschorn, however, got a fly ball to right and a strikeout to end the game.
Stats and Game Notes (So Far)
- Lowe started and allowed two runs on seven hits, walked four and struck out five over 7.0 innings.
- Lowe worked at least 7.0 innings for the fourth time this season.
- Making his 14th start, Lowe allowed two runs or less for the eighth time.
- Christian Allegretti allowed one run on one hit in 2.0 innings of relief.
- Coleman Picard tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief.
- Rizy suffered the loss, allowing three runs (two earned) on three hits over 2.1 innings. He didn't walk a batter and struck out three.
- Gustin finished 3-for-6 with two RBI.
- Tuccillo reached four times with two hits and two walks. His 9th-inning single tied the game.
- Allen walked twice and scored twice.
Bryant will now face Central Connecticut in an elimination game later Saturday afternoon.