PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Bryant University football team dropped a heartbreaker, 39-34, to Duquesne on Saturday afternoon.
Zevi Eckhaus completed a Hail Mary pass to David Zorrilla as time expired but the officials ruled, and replay confirmed, that Zorrilla was held just shy of the endzone. Zorrilla caught the jump ball at the Duquesne 1 and tried to back pedal into the endzone. It was ruled, however, he was held out.
The ending capped what was one of the most exciting Northeast Conference games of the year. Bryant trailed 33-21 in the fourth quarter but scored 13-straight points to take a 34-33 lead with 1:54 left in the game. Duquesne then drove down the field and scored on a 26-yard touchdown pass with 26 seconds left.
Eckhaus finished with 311 passing yards, Zorrilla had his first-career 100-yard receiving game, Fabrice Mukendi posted his first-career 100-yard rushing game and Daniel Adeboboye scored a career-high three touchdowns.
Duquesne 39, Bryant 34
Records: Bryant (3-3, 1-1 NEC), Duquesne (4-1, 2-0 NEC)
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (Rooney Field)
- Eckhaus threw a Hail Mary as time expired that was caught by Zorrilla at the Duquesne 1. The burly wide receiver backed his way toward the endzone but it was ruled that the ball didn't cross the goal line.
How it Happened
- Duquesne was able to score on its first drive of the game to take a 7-0 lead. A 37-yard completion to Cyrus Holder put the Dukes in position and Garrett Owens capped the drive with a two-yard plunge.
- Bryant responded with the next 14 points. On the ensuing drive, a 15-yard facemask penalty helped push the Bulldogs into Duquesne territory. Mukendi got the ball inside the 10 with a 25-yard run. Bryant then went for it on 4th-and-goal and Macklin Kortebein took the toss from Eckhaus and was able to find his way into the corner of the endzone.
- The Bulldogs' defense then forced back-to-back turnovers to help setup the next score. Andreessen's interception ended a Duquesne drive and then Derrius Perryman tackled the punter on a fake punt.
- That play set up a quick two-play scoring drive for the Bulldogs. Mukendi took the handoff and made one cut before racing 23 yards into the endzone.
- Duquesne scored the final 14 points of the first half to take a 21-14 lead into the locker room. A 50-yard punt return setup the first score and Perrantes took it home on a 4-yard keeper. Duquesne then converted a long pass play on third-and-long to setup a six-yard TD reception by Holder with 25 seconds left. The score came after the Dukes blocked a Bryant field goal attempt.
- Bryant was able to tie the score early in the third quarter as Adeboboye took the handoff and sprinted 47 yards for a touchdown.
- The Dukes, however, scored the next 12 points to take a 33-21 lead with 10:22 remaining in the game.
- Bryant answered, driving 75 yards in 12 plays to make it game. The Bulldogs converted a pair of third downs before needing to convert on a fourth down from the Duquesne 12. Eckhaus stepped up in the pocket and was able to spot Adeboboye who dove to the pylon for the score.
- The Bulldog defense then forced a three-and-out and Bryant 73 yards in 11 plays to take the lead. Jihad Edmond had a 17-yard reception on third down and Psaveon Reaves posted a 22-yard reception on fourth down to the ball inside the Duquesne 5. Two plays later Adeboboye went into the endzone to make it 34-33. Bryant went for the two-point conversion but failed.
- Duquesne then drove the field and scored on 26-yard pass to make it 39-34.
- With 31 seconds remaining, Bryant pushed the ball across midfield as Reaves made a 12-yard reception on fourth down. With one play left, Eckhaus launched the ball downfield and Zorrilla came down with it for his fifth catch. The Duquesne defense, however, stopped him just shy of the goal line.
- Bryant outgained Duquesne, 487-477.
- The Bulldogs were 4-of-15 on third down but 5-of-6 on fourth down.
- Eckhaus finished 25-of-44 for 311 yards and two touchdowns.
- Mukendi rushed for 111 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries.
- Adeboboye carried the ball 11 times for 66 yards and two touchdowns. He caught two passes for 18 yards and a touchdown.
- Zorrilla caught five passes for 115 yards.
- Reaves finished with seven catches for 93 yards.
- Kortebein had three catches for 22 yards and a score.
- Saddler had 11 tackles and helped on three tackles for a loss.
- Andreessen posted nine tackles and had an interception.
- Mukendi has now rushed for a touchdown in four-straight games.
- Mukendi posted his first-career 100-yard rushing game.
- Adeboboye scored a career-high three touchdowns.
- Adeboboye now has 15 career touchdowns. He is tied for ninth all-time with 14 rushing touchdowns.
- Kortebein's touchdown was his first as a Bulldog.
- Andreessen posted his first-career interception.
- Zorrilla made a highlight-reel reception during the second quarter, snaring an Eckhaus pass with one hand for a 26-yard reception.
- Zorrilla also posted his first-career 100-yard receiving game.
- Reaves posted career-highs in receptions and receiving yards.
Bryant returns home for Family and Friends Weekend, hosting Saint Francis U on Oct. 16. Kickoff is set for 12:00 p.m. at Beirne Stadium.