SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University men's basketball team had two shots at winning the game in the final 10 seconds, ultimately dropping a heartbreaker to Syracuse in Friday's season opener, 85-84.
Junior Chris Childs poured in 18 points in his Bryant debut to lead five in double-figures. Sophomores Michael Green III and Charles Pride each had 15, redshirt junior Peter Kiss had 12 points and seven rebounds and redshirst senior Hall Elisias posted 11 points, eight rebounds and five blocks.
Syracuse 85, Bryant 84
Records: Bryant 0-1, Syracuse (1-0)
Location: Carrier Dome
- Kiss gave Bryant a 13 point lead with 16:01 remaining, drilling a three from the top of the key.
- Syracuse responded with a 25-13 run over the next 9:49 to take the lead, 77-75, with 6:14 left.
- Joseph Girard III hit a three with 2:16 left to give Syracuse a 83-82 lead.
- Both Kiss and Green III had looks within the final 10 seconds but couldn't convert.
How it Happened
- Bryant started the game red hot from beyond the arc, going 5-of-6 to start the game. Back-to-back threes from Childs made it 20-15 at the 13:09 mark of the first half.
- Syracuse would rally to take a 38-34 lead but the Bulldogs responded with a 17-6 run to end the half. Pride put Bryant back up 43-41 and Childs hit his fifth three of the half to make it 47-41.
- A Buddy Boeheim three at the first half buzzer made it a 51-44 game.
- Kiss sandwiched a pair of threes around a Elisias put-back slam to push Bryant's lead to 63-50 with 16:01 to go.
- Childs made it a seven-point game with an and-1 but back-to-back trifecta's from Boeheim made it a one-point game.
- A pair of Pride free throws gave Bryant an 82-80 lead with 3:12 to go but Girard III hit a three to put Syracuse ahead, 83-82.
- The Orange then missed the front end of a one-and-one, giving the Black and Gold a chance. Kiss had a look from the corner before Green III's follow up jumper fell off the rim.
- Bryant finished the game 31-of-71 from the field and 13-of-37 from beyond the arc.
- The Bulldogs were outrebounded, 47-44.
- Bryant also turned the ball over 21 times, compared to 14 from the Orange.
- Childs led Bryant with 18 points on 5-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc.
- Green III added 15 points, seven assists and five rebounds in 36 minutes.
- Pride posted 15 points on 5-of-8 shooting and posted seven rebounds.
- Kiss posted 12 points, seven rebounds and three assists.
- Elisias led Bryant's pain presence with 11 points, eight boards and five blocks.
- Luis Hurtado Jr. filled up the stat sheet with five points, five rebounds and six assists.
- The Bulldogs were facing Syracuse for the first time in program history.
- Friday was Bryant's 13th game against an ACC opponent at the Division I level.
- Bryant's 84 points are the most it has scored against a Power 5 program in DI program history.
- Green III finished one assist shy of his career high.
- Pride, a native of Syracuse, was playing inside the Carrier Dome for the first time winning a Section III title with Liverpool in 2018.