SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Michael Green III scored 16 points and Hall Elisias added 14 as the Bryant University men's basketball team defeated league-leader Merrimack, 60-58, on Saturday afternoon at the Chace Athletic Center.
The Black and Gold, who were playing at home for the first time since Jan. 8, improved to 7-0 on the Chace floor this season. While scoring a season-low 60 points, the Black and Gold defense allowed a season-low in scoring on Saturday. The Bulldogs were playing for just the third time in the last 36 days.
Green finished 6-of-13 from the field and added four assists and just two turnovers in 39 minutes. Elisias, the league's leader in field goal percentage, was 6-of-8 and also pulled down five boards. Chris Childs chipped in nine in his first start of the year and Peter Kiss had six points, eight boards, four assists and two steals.
Bryant 60, Merrimack 58
Records: Bryant 11-5, 7-4 NEC | Merrimack 8-5, 8-5 NEC
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Merrimack's Devin Jensen hit a three to make it 19-18 Bulldogs with 8:04 to go in the first half. Bryant responded with an 18-2 run over the next 10:32 of gameplay to take a commanding lead. Bryant held Merrimack to 1-of-15 shooting during the stretch.
How it Happened
- Merrimack's stout defense held Bryant without a field goal until Green III canned a jumper at the 15:45 mark.
- Green III would then give the Black and Gold their first lead with a mid-range jumper at the 9:32 mark.
- Moments later, Green III spun through traffic before dishing to an open Childs for a three.
- Jensen would answer for Merrimack but Bryant would answer with an 18-2 run to take hold of the game.
- Another Childs three helped jump-start the run, and his third trifecta of the first half made it 33-20 at the half.
- Jordan Minor would put an end to the Bryant run three minutes into the second half, sparking a 14-4 Warrior run that made it a 41-34 game.
- Green III put out some of the flames with a trifecta from the wing at the 13:11 mark.
- Nathaniel Stokes hit a deep three from the top to make it a 12-point game with 8:05 left.
- The Warriors would make things interesting at the end, with Jensen hitting a three with 5 seconds remaining. Merrimack would get one more crack at a halfcourt heave but it fell short at the buzzer.
- Bryant finished 24-of-54 (.444) from the field, 6-of-17 (.353) from three and 6-of-9 (.667) from the line.
- Bryant outrebounded Merrimack, 37-36.
- The Bulldogs posted 15 assists and turned the ball over 17 times.
- Green III led Bryant with 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting. He added four assists and three rebounds.
- Elisias finished 6-of-8 from the field for 14 points.
- Childs had nine points on 3-of-8 shooting from three.
- Kiss chipped in six points, eight rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Stokes scored nine points on 4-of-7 shooting off the bench.
- Charles Pride scored six points and grabbed six boards.
- Bryant has won 2-of-3 meetings between the two schools at the Division I level.
- Green III has scored in double-figures in all but one game this season.
- It's the fewest points the Black and Gold have allowed since they surrendered 58 against Mount St. Mary's on Feb. 23, 2020.
Bryant and Merrimack wrap up their home-and-home on Sunday afternoon in North Andover. Tip is set for 4:00 p.m.