STONY BROOK, N.Y. – Logan McGovern and Bennett Abladian each scored a pair of goals but No. 20 Stony Brook outscored the Bryant men's lacrosse team 7-1 in the second half in a 14-8 victory over the Bulldogs on Saturday afternoon.
Tied 7-7 at the break, the Seawolves' defense clamped down in the second half. Stony Brook outscored Bryant 3-1 in the third quarter and then scored four more times in the fourth to put the game away.
Abladian registered his first-career multi-goal game, while Trevor Weingarten notched two assists for the second-straight game.
Stony Brook 14, Bryant 8
Records: Bryant (1-1), No. 20 Stony Brook (1-1)
Location: LaValle Stadium (Stony Brook, N.Y.)
- Stony Brook broke a 7-7 tie with goals just over 90 seconds after in the third quarter. The Seawolves wouldn't trail again the rest of the way.
How it Happened
- Bryant exploded out of the gates on Saturday, scoring four times in the opening five minutes.
- Groeninger opened the scoring just 19 seconds in, bouncing off a check before firing it over the head of the goalie from just outside the crease.
- Three minutes later, Mason Drouin took a feed from Trevor Weingarten 15 yards out and buried it low and inside the post on the man-up.
- Laliberte won the ensuing faceoff and raced down the field before finishing low for his first-career goal.
- McGovern capped Bryant's offensive outburst with a nifty goal at the 10:31 mark. He spun on a dime behind the cage and then curled in front before firing to the far post.
- Stony Brook caught its breath and answered with four of its own over the final 7:14 of the quarter. Cory VanGinhoven scored the first two and Matt Anderson tied the game with 1:08 left in the quarter.
- Abladian gave Bryant back the lead with back-to-back goals in the second quarter. He finished a transition goal to make it 5-4 and then buried a perfect feed from Weingarten to make it 6-4.
- Stony Brook would answer but McGovern's second goal of the game would make it 7-5 with 3:27 left in the half.
- The Seawolves, however, would score the final two goals of the half and nine of the final 10.
- Matt DeMeo's man-up marker with 48 seconds left sent the game to half tied, while goals from Wayne White and Mike McCannell broke the tie in the third.
- Ryan Dobrzynski's first-career goal made it 9-7 but the Bulldogs would not score again.
- Bryant outshot Stony Brook, 41-40.
- Stony Brook won the ground-ball battle, 34-32.
- The Bulldogs won 18-of-26 faceoffs.
- McGovern and Abladian paced Bryant with two goals apiece.
- Weingarten registered a pair of assists.
- Nathan Laliberte won 18 faceoffs and also recorded his first-career goal.
- Stony Brook now leads the all-time series, 4-3.
- Laliberte and Dobrzynski both scored their first goals on Saturday.
- Abladian posted his first-career multi-goal game.
Bryant returns home to face Vermont on Feb. 27. The Bulldogs and Catamounts faceoff at 12:00 p.m.