SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The No. 19 Bryant University men's lacrosse team dropped a nailbiter to rival Hobart, 11-10, on Saturday afternoon at Beirne Stadium.
Bryant held a 7-4 at the half but the Statesmen scored five goals in the third quarter and then killed off two late man-up opportunities to hold off the Black and Gold.
Hobart 11, No. 19 Bryant 10
Records: Bryant (5-2, 3-1 NEC) | Hobart (3-1, 3-1 NEC)
Location: Beirne Stadium (Smithfield, R.I.)
Coach Pressler's Comments
"I told the team on Monday this will be a heavyweight matchup in conference. The game will go deep into the fourth quarter, one or two goals either way and maybe OT. We had multiple chances to tie the game in the last minute and especially man-up. In the end, the Hobart goalie No. 40 had 23 saves in the game and 10 in the fourth quarter. In a one-goal game that was the obvious difference. Congrats to the Statesmen, they were just a little bit better than us today."
- Hobart preserved its one-goal lead by killing off a pair of Bryant man-up opportunities in the final minute.
How It Happened
- Hobart opened a 3-1 lead with goals 14 seconds apart in the first quarter.
- Bryant was able to tie the game before the quarter ended as McGovern and Abladian scored.
- The Bulldogs took their first lead of the afternoon as Mason Drouin fed Goltz for a man-up marker at the 9:28 mark of the second quarter.
- Three minutes later, Abladian struck again to make it 5-3.
- After Hobart trimmed the lead, Weingarten scored a magnificent goal. He received a pass from McGovern on top of the crease and was able to flick it home from the ground.
- Weingarten then completed his hat trick with 1:04 left in the half to make it 7-4.
- Hobart came out of the gates firing in the second half, scoring three times in the first five minutes to tie the game at 7-7.
- Bryant regained the lead as Brody Rule fed Zach Coffey and the long pole buried a bounce shot.
- The Statesmen quickly answered, scoring twice in a six-second span.
- McGovern then beat the third-quarter horn to tie the game. He took a long outlet pass from Caracciolo and was able to fire it home with two seconds on the clock.
- Hobart built a two-goal with 4:59 left in the game.
- Goltz answered it with a man-up goal 49 seconds later but the Bulldogs would get no closer.
- Bryant outshot Hobart, 49-41.
- Bryant won the ground-ball battle, 40-33.
- The Bulldogs went 21-of-26 on clears.
- Bryant won 15-of-24 faceoffs.
- Weingarten nothced a hat trick.
- McGovern finished with two goals and an assist.
- Goltz and Abladian each tallied two goals.
- Nathan Laliberte won 15 faceoffs and finished with 11 ground balls.
- LaJhon Jones collected seven ground balls and caused four turnovers.
- Caracciolo finished with 14 saves and posted his first-career assist.
- Bryant's four-game winning streak came to a close.
- Weingarten recorded his first hat trick of the season.
- Jones posted career-highs for ground balls and caused turnovers.
- McGovern has recorded multiple points in all five games he's played this season.
The Bulldogs travel to Long Island next weekend to face the Sharks. Faceoff will be at noon.