FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Marc O'Rourke scored six goals in his return and Logan McGovern recorded six points to lead the Bryant University men's lacrosse team to a 20-12 victory over Sacred Heart on Saturday afternoon at Campus Field.
Having missed Bryant's first eight games, O'Rourke didn't miss a beat on Saturday. He scored six goals on 14 shots to help the Black and Gold snap a two-game skid. McGovern registered two goals and four assists, and Bennett Abladian notched four goals and an assist.
With the victory, the Bulldogs have qualified for the 2021 NEC Tournament.
Bryant 20, Sacred Heart 12
Records: Bryant (6-3, 4-2 NEC) | Sacred Heart (1-11, 0-7)
Location: Campus Field (Fairfield, Conn.)
Coach Pressler's Comments
"In a must-win situation on the road, really happy and proud of our guys in how they responded today. We talked about our starts and the first five minutes of the third quarter as being two keys to victory for us. Plus, we had to get going in the faceoff x and show up and play unselfish team offense. Very pleased to say we had success on all. Finally, thrilled to announce we have officially qualified for the 2021 NEC Tournament. Quick turnaround to finish the regular season at LIU Tuesday, and then Mount St. Mary's at home on Friday for senior day."
- Bryant scored six goals in a two-minute and 40-second span late in the first quarter to turn a 4-2 lead into a 10-2 game.
How It Happened
- Trevor Weingarten got Bryant on the board just 1:15 into the game and O'Rourke and Kevin Groeninger followed with goals to make it 3-0.
- The Pioneers would make it 4-2 with 6:15 left in the opening quarter on a goal from Logan Lijeberg.
- McGovern scored on the man-up with 4:53 left to start a string of six-straight goals for the Bulldogs. Abladian and Alexander reached scored a pair of goals in the spurt.
- Sacred Heart outscored the Black and Gold 3-2 in the second quarter to make it a 12-6 game at the half.
- The Pioneers then scored three-straight goals in the third quarter to make it a 13-9 game.
- Bryant answered with the final three goals of the quarter, getting tallies from Abladian, McGovern and O'Rourke.
- O'Rourke scored the final two goals of his afternoon in the fourth quarter, while Austin Kent and Timmy Hackett each added a goal to close the scoring.
- Bryant outshot Sacred Heart, 51-42.
- The Bulldogs won 23-of-36 faceoffs.
- SHU won the ground-ball battle, 35-34.
- O'Rourke scored six goals on 14 shots. He put nine on goal and also added two ground balls.
- McGovern recorded two goals and four assists.
- Abladian finished with four goals and an assist.
- Alexander won 16 faceoffs and also scored two goals and had eight ground balls.
- Zach Coffey and Jake Fiske each recorded three ground balls.
- Caracciolo posted 12 saves.
- O'Rourke was playing in his first game of the year.
- O'Rourke has now scored 6+ goals in each of his last three games dating back to last year. It's his fifth-career game of 6+ goals.
- O'Rourke now has 97 goals and 140 points in his career. He passed Cam Ziegler and moved into fifth place in DI program history for career points.
- McGovern matched his season-high with four assists. He has recorded 6+ points twice this year.
- Alexander posted the first multi-goal game of his career.
- Abladian's four goals are a season-high. He now has six multi-goal games on the year.
The Bulldogs have a quick turnaround, traveling to face LIU on Tuesday at noon.