FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Jacob Alexander won a program-record 30 faceoffs and Marc O'Rourke became the eighth player in program history to score 100 career goals as the Bryant University lacrosse team earned a huge 20-17 victory over Long Island University on Tuesday afternoon.
Bryant trailed 5-2 after the first quarter and 9-4 late in the second quarter before scoring seven unanswered goals to take an 11-9 lead in the third quarter. It is Bryant's second-straight 20-goal game on the road and its third 20-goal game of the year.
Alexander paced Bryant's attack, winning 30-of-40 faceoffs and picking up 16 ground balls. His 30 faceoff wins are a program record and tied for the third-most in a game in NCAA history. The 40 faceoffs are tied for fourth-most in NCAA history. O'Rourke potted six goals (his fourth-straight game with at least six) to become just the eighth player in school history with 100+ career goals. He finished with seven points on 24 shots. Linemate Logan McGovern recorded his second-straight eight-point game with three goals and five assists. Bennett Abladian added his second-straight four-goal game.
Bryant 20, Long Island 17
Records: Bryant (7-3, 5-2 NEC) | LIU (6-4, 5-3 NEC)
Location: Bethpage Stadium (Brookville, N.Y.)
Coach Pressler's Comments
"Huge win for us. Couldn't be more proud of our comeback. Down 5-1 early and down 9-4 late in the second quarter. The key play for us was the four-goal spurt to make it a one-goal game at the half. We took off from there. Anytime you score 20 goals on the road is great, especially in conference play. Jacob winning 30 faceoffs had a lot to do with it. Marc being back has been a huge boost...he's been outstanding."
- Trailing 9-4 with 5:13 left in the first half, Bryant scored four-straight goals to make it 9-8 at the break. Abladian scored the first two goals and McGovern notched a pair in the final 24 seconds, including one with three seconds left.
How It Happened
- LIU and Bryant traded goals in the opening five minutes, with O'Rourke scoring Bryant's first.
- The Sharks, however, scored five-straight goals in a five-minute stretch to build a 5-1 lead.
- The teams then traded goals to open the second quarter before two-straight from the Sharks made it 9-4 with 5:13 left.
- Abladian and McGovern then went to work, scoring four times in the final 4:37. Abladian scored twice and then McGovern scored twice in the final 24 seconds.
- Bryant kept it rolling, scoring three times in the first four minutes of the third quarter. Abladian and O'Rourke started the run and Alexander converted a faceoff win into a goal to make it 11-9.
- LIU made it 11-10 but Abladian, O'Rourke and Mason Drouin all scored within a minute to make it 14-10.
- LaJhon Jones then scored his first-career goal in transition and Abladian followed to make it 16-11.
- Kevin Groeninger and O'Rourke opened the fourth quarter with goals before McGovern and O'Rourke closed Bryant's scoring.
- Bryant outshot LIU, 78-37.
- The Bulldogs won 30-of-41 faceoffs.
- Bryant controlled the ground-ball battle, 49-24.
- The Bulldogs were 14-of-15 on clears.
- O'Rourke finished with six goals and an assist. He posted 24 shots and 13 shots on goal.
- McGovern finished with eight points (3g, 5a).
- Alexander won 30-of-40 faceoffs, had 16 ground balls and scored a goal.
- Abladian finished with a career-high five goals.
- Sam Goforth and Zach Coffey each had four ground balls.
- Bryant posted a DI program record 78 shots in the game.
- Alexander won a program record 30 faceoffs. The 30 FOWs are tied for the third-most in a single game in NCAA history.
- Alexander's 40 faceoffs taken are tied for the fourth-most in NCAA history.
- O'Rourke has now scored 6+ goals in each of his last four games dating back to last year. It's his sixth-career game of 6+ goals.
- O'Rourke now has 103 goals and 147 points in his career.
- O'Rourke is just the fourth player in DI program history with 100+ career goals and the eighth in program history.
- McGovern has now recorded back-to-back eight-point games. It is his third-career eight-point game.
- Abladian's five goals are a season-high. He now has seven multi-goal games on the year.
The Bulldogs are scheduled to face Mount St. Mary's on Friday afternoon at 1:00 p.m.