Big second half pushes Bryant past Mount, 14-7
EMMITSBURG, Md. – Marc O'Rourke and Logan McGovern each posted five points and the Bryant University men's lacrosse team outscored Mount St. Mary's 8-1 in the second half on its way to a 14-7 victory on Saturday in Emmitsburg.
With the win, the Bulldogs improved to 7-5 overall and 5-1 in the Northeast Conference.
O'Rourke registered four goals and an assist, while McGovern finished with two goals and three assists. Bennett Abladian picked up another hat trick, while Kevin Groeninger and Sam Goforth each finished with two points.
Bryant 14, Mount St. Mary's 7
Records: Bryant 7-5, 5-1 NEC, Mount 5-9, 2-4 NEC
Location: Waldron Family Stadium (Emmitsburg, Md.)
Coach Pressler's Comments
"Mount for years has always been a very tough out for us, especially in Emmitsburg. Obviously, a tale of two halves for the Bulldogs today. Really pleased with our halftime response all tied up at 6. Our 5-0 run to start the third was the difference today. No. 44 really stepped up in the second half with 10 saves. Short turnaround for us on Tuesday at Brown with the 2022 Ocean State Cup on the line."
- Trailing 4-2, Bryant scored four goals in a minute and 11 second span to take a 6-4 lead in the second quarter.
How it Happened
- Bryant grabbed a 2-0 lead on goals from McGovern and Abladian.
- Mount, however, scored the next four to take a 4-2 lead.
- O'Rourke started Bryant's four-goal stretch with a rifle. Bryant then won the faceoff and O'Rourke scored an unreal goal to tie the game 26 seconds later. He caught the pass and toe-dragged his way around the defender before firing over the goalies shoulder.
- Alexander then won the ensuing faceoff and raced down the field to score and give Bryant a 5-4 lead. O'Rourke closed the stretch to make it 6-4.
- Mount would answer the run with two goals in the final seven minutes to send the game to half tied at 6-6.
- Bryant then came out and dominated the second half, outscoring Mount, 8-1.
- A no-look rocket from O'Rourke broke the tie just over 90 seconds into the third quarter.
- Back-to-back goals from Abladian completed a hat trick and made it 9-6 with 9:06 remaining.
- McGovern then converted a perfect pass from Brody Rule and Groeninger scored a nifty individual goal to make it 11-7 at the end of three.
- Sam Goforth, Aidan Goltz and Timmy Hackett potted fourth-quarter goals to close the scoring.
- Bryant outshot Mount, 46-38.
- The Bulldogs won the ground ball battle, 30-29.
- Bryant finished 3-for-6 on the man up.
- The Bulldogs won 16-of-23 faceoffs.
- O'Rourke finished with four goals and an assist for five points.
- McGovern notched two goals and three assists for five points.
- Abladian recorded a hat trick.
- Goforth and Groeninger each finished with two points (1g, 1a).
- Jacob Alexander won 15-of-21 faceoffs and added eight ground balls.
- Pearson finished with five ground balls.
- Bryant won in Emmitsburg for the first time since 2015.
- O'Rourke now has 151 goals and 212 career points.
- O'Rourke has recorded a goal in 24-straight games and has scored a point in 48-straight games.
- McGovern has recorded 118 points (51g, 67a) in 32 career games.
Bryant will face in-state rival Brown on Tuesday night in Providence. Faceoff is set for 7:00 p.m.