Bulldogs fall to No. 5/10 Brown on Tuesday
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Bennett Abladian recorded five points and Logan McGovern dished out four assists but the Bryant University men's lacrosse team came up short in a 16-9 loss to No. 5/10 Brown on a rainy Tuesday night at Stevenson-Pincince Field.
Brown's victory claimed the Ocean State Cup, the seventh for the Bears since 2010. Bryant will wrap up the regular season on Saturday at home against Wagner.
No. 5/10 Brown 15, Bryant 9
Records: Bryant 7-6, No. 5/10 Brown 9-4
Location: Stevenson-Pincince Field
- Bryant pulled within 8-6 in the third quarter but the Bears scored the five goals of the quarter to take a 13-6 lead to the final quarter.
How it Happened
- Brown got things going early, winning the opening faceoff and scoring just 30 seconds in.
- Buoyed by eight first-half saves from their goalie, the Bears built a 5-0 lead after the first 15.
- O'Rourke got Bryant on the board at the 10:05 mark of the second quarter with a rip from 15 yards outs.
- Bryant won the ensuing faceoff and Aidan Goltz was able to place a perfect shot under the crossbar to make it 5-2.
- Brown, however, answered with the next two goals to make it 7-2 with 4:15 to go.
- Abladian then took over, recording a natural hat trick in the span of 49 seconds. He curled the crease and was able to sneak it inside the far post for his first goal. Abladian then took the feed off the quick faceoff win and fired it under the crossbar just six seconds later. He completed the hat trick 42 seconds later, firing it five-hole to make it 7-5 with 1:02 left in the half.
- Abladian's fourth goal of the game made it 8-6 with 11:10 left in the third quarter but the Bears responded by scoring five straight to take a 13-6 lead with 3:58 to go in the quarter.
- The Black and Gold opened the fourth quarter with three-straight goals to pull back within four. Goltz rifled home his second, O'Rourke whistled one home and Timmy Hackett finished a perfect feed from McGovern to make it 13-9 with 10:16 to go.
- Brown was able to answer with a trio of goals to make it 16-9 with 7:16 to play.
- Brown outshot Bryant, 50-48.
- The ground ball game was even at 25-25.
- Luke Caracciolo posted 12 saves.
- Jacob Alexandre won 12-of-24 faceoffs.
- Brody Rule and Tanner Alexander each had three ground balls, while LaJhon Jones caused two turnovers.
- Abladian recorded five points with four goals and an assist.
- McGovern recorded four assists.
- Goltz and O'Rourke each scored twice.
- Brown owns an 8-4 lead in the all-time series. The win also secured the Ocean State Cup for the Bears.
- Bryant is now 0-2 against nationally-ranked opponents this season.
- O'Rourke extended is goal streak to 25 games and his point streak to 49 games.
- O'Rourke now has 153 career goals.
- O'Rourke now has a career-high 55 points on the year.
- McGovern tied his career-high of 46 points and now has a career-high 30 assists on the season.
- Abladian recorded his eighth hat trick of the year and has 36 goals on the season.
Bryant wraps up the regular season on Saturday when it hosts Wagner at Beirne Stadium. Faceoff is set for 12:00 p.m.