LOUDONVILLE, N.Y. – The Bryant University men's soccer team picked up its first win of the 2019 season, and its first non-conference win on the road since August 2014, when it topped Siena 3-2 Sunday afternoon.
Bryant 3, Siena 2
Records: Bryant 1-2, Siena 1-3
Location: Hickey Field | Loudonville, N.Y.
Coach Purcell's Comments
"It was just a tremendous performance. We played a very good team at a very difficult place to win. We made it a little interesting at the end, but it was great to see Supczak and Gill get their first career goals."
Senior Alex DaCosta (Bristol, R.I) passed the ball off from just outside the box to classmate George Gill (Cork, Munster, Ireland), who knocked it in past the goalkeeper to double Bryant's score two minutes into the second half, putting up his first career goal.
- 32nd minute – Bryant 1, Siena 0 – Freshman Matt Supczak (Tolland, Conn.) scored the first goal of his career and put Bryant on the board after a shot from the inside of the box, assisted by DaCosta and sophomore Ben Williams (Unionville, Ontario).
- 47th minute – Bryant 2, Siena 0 – Gill chipped the ball in from the front left of the box after a pass from DaCosta.
- 60th minute – Bryant 3, Siena 0 – Williams received a pass through the inside of the box from DaCosta and fired one into the net.
- 72nd minute – Bryant 3, Siena 1 – Aaron Martin gave Siena its first goal of the game after a pass into the far right side of the box and then sent it to the left side of the post.
- 89th minute – Bryant 3, Siena 2 – Gylfi Getsson closed the gap to one goal with just 30 seconds left in the game when he dropped it in from right outside the top left and then it bounced into the right side.
- The win over Siena marked Bryant's first non-conference win since September of 2016 and first on the road since August 2014.
- Gill and Williams combined for eight of the Bulldogs' 15 shots today. Each of them fired four shots at frame.
- Along with Supczak, junior Charles DeSantis (Saint-Mathias-Sur-Richelieu, Quebec) put up two shots for Bryant.
- DaCosta had an assistant on each of the goals, putting him at four on the season.
- Supczak and Gill both scored their first career goal, while Williams put up his second in the past two games.
- The game was foul heavy, Bryant totaled 13 fouls and two yellow cards. The Saints had 16 fouls, two yellow cards and one red card.
- Senior Olivier Larente (LaSalle, Montreal) posted two saves in the net.
Up Next: Howard
The Bulldogs open a series of five home games next Sunday September 15th when they host Howard at 12 p.m. in Smithfield.