Mabe scores first-career goal in road victory against SFBK
BROOKLYN, N.Y. - The Bryant University men's soccer team defeated last year's Northeast Conference champions, St. Francis Brooklyn, by a score of 2-0 on the road. This is the first time in program history that the Bulldogs have won in Brooklyn.
The Black and Gold's last win over SFBK was in 2012.
Records: Bryant 2 (3-3-2), SFBK 0 (3-3-1)
Location: Brooklyn, N.Y. (Brooklyn Bridge Park-Pier 5)
Coach Purcell's Comments
"Brilliant win. Can't express how happy I am for this team. They are a special bunch of young men. We all should be so proud of what they accomplished today against last year's champions".
- The Bulldogs scored two goals in the first eight minutes of the game and held the Terriers scoreless.
- 5th minute - Bryant 1, SFBK 0 - Diego Rodriguez took the ball down the right side and dished the ball to the middle of the box. Then Kyle Mabe came in from the left at full speed and rocketed a shot to the top of the net.
- 8th minute - Bryant 2, SFBK 0 - Digger Iqbal started the break and sent the ball to the right side of the box. Rodriguez corraled it and passed it to Ben Williams, who was on a run. Williams then shot the ball in one motion to the right of the SFBK goalkeeper.
- Mabe scored his first career goal.
- Williams now leads the NEC with six goals.
- Rodriguez dished out two assists.
- Jack Bacon tallied seven saves and picks up his second career shutout.
- The Black and Gold had six shots on goal.
- Bulldogs have now won two games in a row.
The Black and Gold will stay on the road and face Long Island on Sunday.