Bulldogs fall to LIU, 2-1, Sunday
BROOKVILLE, N.Y. - Diego Rodriguez scored his first goal of the season but Long Island University scored twice in the span of three minutes in the second half to defeat the Bryant University men's soccer team, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon.
Rodriguez gave the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead in the 56th minute but Emil Jaaskelainen scored in the 69th and 71st minute to give the Sharks the lead.
Records: LIU 2 (6-2-1, 3-0-0 NEC), Bryant 1 (3-4-2, 2-1-0)
Location: Brookville, N.Y.
Coach Purcell Quote
Tough loss for the boys. I think we let one slip away. Just didn't have the legs today to grind this one out.
- Jaaskelainen scored a controversial goal in the 71st minute to give the Sharks a 2-1 lead.
- 56th minute - Bryant 1, LIU 0 - Aaron Madison carried the ball from midfield and sent a low cross in from the right side. The ball found the head of a streaking Rodriguez who was able to redirect it home for his first goal of the year.
- 69th minute - Bryant 1, LIU 1 - The Sharks carried the ball into the box and Jaaskelainen received a pass across front of the goal and was able to finish.
- 71st minute - LIU 2, Bryant 1- A long ball was sent towards the middle of the 18. Jack Bacon came off his line to play the ball and collided with Jaaskelainen. The ball redirected off the head of Jaaskelainen and rolled into the back of the cage.
- LIU had 18 shots to Bryant's nine.
- Bacon finished with seven saves for the Bulldogs.
- Rodriguez notched his first goal of the season and the second of his career. He now has a goal and three assists this season.
- Madison collected his second assist of the year and now has two goals and two assists on the year.
The Bulldogs return to Smithfield next weekend when they host Fairleigh Dickinson on Sunday, Oct. 10. First touch is set for 3:00 p.m.