Medeiros first-career goal sends Dawgs to playoffs
SMITHFIELD, R.I. - David Medeiros of the Bryant University men's soccer team scored his first career goal in overtime to give the Bulldogs a 2-1 win against Saint Francis and send them to the Northeast Conference playoffs.
Records: Bryant 2 (6-6-2), Saint Francis 1 (7-7)
Location: Smithfield, R.I. (Bulldog Soccer Field)
Coach Purcell's Comments
"Tremendous win. Outstanding effort by the entire team. The 10 starting seniors set the tone and tempo for today's game. They have been the backbone of this team. This win is all theirs"!!!
- Medeiros scored the game-winning goal in overtime on a free-kick.
- 57th minute - Bryant 1, Saint Francis 0 - Abdel Talabi took the throw-in for Bryant on the right side of the field. He then heaved it to the middle of the box where Diego Rodriguez headed it to Brandon, who then hit a rocket to the right side of the goaltender for the first goal of the game.
- 61st minute - Saint Francis 1, Bryant 1 - Alex Charles took the ball through the middle of the field and made a series of moves before he shot the ball to the right of the net.
- 98th minute - The Bulldogs were awarded a free kick from 15 yards out. Medeiros took the free-kick and shot the ball, which bounced through the traffic in front of the goal and found the back of the net.
- The Black and Gold advance to the playoffs. They previously made the playoffs in 2019.
- Medeiros scored his first career goal.
- Brandon netted his second goal of the season.
- Rodriguez dished out his fourth assist of the year.
The Bulldogs will finish the regular season on the road against Merrimack a week from today.