Macon, Ga. - The Bryant University softball team defeated Mercer by a score of 7-4 in game two of their Saturday doubleheader in the Black and Orange challenge to pick up their first win of the 2020 season.
The Bulldogs also fell to Presbyterian by a score of 5-3 in game one of their Saturday doubleheader.
Presbyterian 5, Bryant 3
Bryant 7, Mercer 4
Coach French's Comments
"Just a great team effort all the around we got a lot of contributions from a lot of kids on offense today, which is really encouraging. But I can't say enough about Kylie who pitched her heart out while battling the flu".
Key Moment vs. Presbyterian
- Presbyterian scored four runs in the top of the sixth inning.
How it Happened vs. Presbyterian
- Aleix Hudson (Lawrenceville, Ga.) hit a two-run home run to left giving the Bulldogs the lead (2-0) in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Presbyterian scored four runs on four RBI singles to take a 4-2 lead in the top of the sixth inning.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) hit a double to lead off the bottom of the sixth inning. Hudson hit a ground out to the shortstop bringing in Ermish for the score (4-3).
- Presbyterian hit an RBI single in the top of the seventh inning (5-3).
Stats vs. Presbyterian
- Hudson had a two-run home run against Presbyterian.
- Ermish had a hit for the Bulldogs.
- Ermish struck out five Presbyterian batters, while teammate Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) struck out two.
Key Moment vs. Mercer
- The Bulldogs scored four runs in the top of the third inning, which was capped off by a two-run home run from Jenna Gardner (Millville, N.J.).
How it Happened vs. Mercer
- Mercer scored the first runs of the game on a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the first inning (1-0).
- Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) grounded out to second bringing in Gardner for the score to tie the game at 1.
- Bell hit a leadoff triple, which was followed by an RBI single by Ermish to take a 2-1 lead in the top of the third inning. Then Hudson hit an RBI single, which was followed by a two-run home run from Gardner in the top of the third inning (5-1).
- The Bears responded with two RBI singles in the bottom of the third inning to cut the Bulldog lead to 5-3.
- Ermish grounded out to bring in Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) to score, which was followed up by an RBI single from Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) in the top of the fourth inning (7-3).
- Mercer hit a two-out RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning (7-4)
Stats vs. Mercer
- Camarillo led the way for the Bulldogs with two hits against Mercer.
- Ermish had a hit and two RBI's on the day. Hernandez and Hudson each had one hit and an RBI.
- Gardner had a two-run home run.
- Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) and Alexandra Hickey (St. John, Ind.) recorded one hit for the Bulldogs.
- Kylie Kenney (Jamison, Pa.) struck out six of the Bears batters.
- Bryant picked up their first win of the season against Mercer.
- Kenney picks up the first win of her career and is the first Bulldog pitcher this year to pick up a win.
- The Bulldogs had two-run home runs in both games from Hudson and Garnder.
- The Black and Gold have now hit a home run in three straight games.
The Bulldogs will face Akron tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. in the final game of the Black and Orange Challenge.