Starkville, Miss. – The Bryant University softball team lost both games in their Friday doubleheader at the Bulldog Slamboree. The Bulldogs fell by a score of 8-0 in game one against Southeast Missouri St. and then fell 5-1 in game two against No. 24 Mississippi St.
Game 1: Southeast Missouri St. 8, Bryant 0
Game 2: Mississippi St. 5, Bryant 1
Location: Nusz Park (Starkville, Miss.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Rachel Rook (4-1) | Gabrielle Ermish (0-5)
W | L | S: Game 2: Fagan Grace (5-2) | Kylie Kenney (1-1)
Coach French's Comments
"Tough start to the day, but we played well the second game and saw a lot of really good things that we continue to learn from and make us better."
Key moment vs. Southeast Missouri St.
- The Redhawks scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning to take the lead.
How it Happened vs. Southeast Missouri St.
- Southeast Missouri St. hit an RBI single and then followed that up with a three-run home run in the bottom of the first inning to take a 4-0 lead.
- The Redhawks hit a single and then advanced the runner from third to home on a Bulldogs throwing error. Then Southeast Missouri St. cleared the bases with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third inning (7-0).
- In the bottom of the sixth inning, the Redhawks added to their lead with an RBI single up the middle (8-0) to end the game.
Stats vs. Southeast Missouri St.
- Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) had the only hit for the Bulldogs.
- Olivia Fee (Levittown, Pa.) recorded a steal.
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) struck out four Redhawks and teammate Sarah McKeveny (Bohemia, N.Y.) struck out two.
Key Moment vs. Mississippi St.
- Mississippi St. took the lead from Bryant by scoring three runs in the bottom of the third inning.
How it Happened vs. Mississippi St.
- Bryant loaded the bases on a walk and a single from Hernandez and Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.), which led to an RBI ground out from Aleix Hudson (Lawrenceville, Ga.) to take the lead (1-0) in the top of the first inning.
- In the bottom of the third inning Mississippi St. scored three runs on a ground out, RBI double, and RBI single to take a 3-1 lead.
- Mississippi St. hit a ground out to second scoring the run from third and then hit an RBI single to add two runs total to their lead (5-1) in the bottom of the fifth inning.
Stats vs. Mississippi St.
- Camarillo, Hernandez, and Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.) all recorded hits for the Black and Gold.
- Hudson earned an RBI for the Bulldogs.
- Jenna Gardner (Millville, N.J.) had a stolen base against Mississippi. St.
- Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I.) had two strikeouts on the day.
- Hudson is now the sole leader in RBI's on the team with 8.
- Garnder has five steals total for the Black and Gold.
The Bulldogs will play Mississippi Valley tomorrow at 11:00 a.m and then will follow that with another matchup that will be determined by seeding in the tournament.