Starkville, Miss. – Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) of the Bryant University softball team hit a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning to give the Bulldogs their second win of the season (5-4) against Mississippi Valley in the first game of their Saturday doubleheader at the Bulldog Slamboree.
The Black and Gold fell to Southeast Missouri St. by a score of 8-0 in the second game on Saturday.
Game 1: Bryant 5, Mississippi Val. 4
Game 2: Southeast Missouri St. 8, Bryant 0
Location: Nusz Park (Starkville, Miss.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Kylie Kenney (2-1) | Ashlyn Matthews (1-4)
W | L | S: Game 2: Marisa Davis (1-0) | Jocelyn Bodington (0-1)
Coach French's Comments
"It was a long day at the ballpark really proud of how we bounced back in the first game and were able to finish it off in extra innings the team showed a lot of resilience."
Key Moment vs. Mississippi Valley
- Bell hit a walk-off single to win the game.
How it Happened vs. Mississippi Valley
- In the bottom of the third inning, the Bulldogs got two runners on base with a walk and a single from Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.). This set up Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) for a 2 out RBI double that cleared the bases and gave Bryant a 2-0 lead.
- The Red Devils hit an RBI single in the top of the fourth to cut the Bryant lead to one.
- Ermish hit a leadoff double to start the bottom of the sixth inning. Ermish scored and Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) advanced to third on a Red Devils throwing error (3-1). Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) brought in Hernandez for the score on a sacrifice fly to left giving the Bulldogs a 4-1 lead.
- Mississippi Valley hit a sacrifice bunt in the top of the seventh inning then followed that up with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly to left to tie the game at four.
- In the bottom of the ninth inning Hickey was walked and then Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) pinch ran for her and stole second. This set up Bell who hit a walk-off single to give the Bulldogs their second win of the season (5-4).
Stats vs. Mississippi Valley
- Bell brought in the game-winning run on an RBI single.
- Ermish went (2-3) and hit two doubles and had two RBI's. Politis also had an RBI on the day.
- Aleix Hudson (Lawrenceville, Ga.), Jenna Gardner (Millville, N.J.), Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), and Camarillo all had hits for Bryant.
- Camarillo, Hudson, and Bilodeau each stole a base against Mississippi Val.
- Ermish posted six strikeouts and teammate Kylie Kenney (Jamison, Pa.) had one strikeout in relief.
Key Moment vs. Southeast Missouri State
- The Redhawks scored four runs in the bottom of the first inning.
How it Happened vs. Southeast Missouri State
- Southeast Missouri St. hit two RBI singles to right and then brought in two more runs on a Bulldog throwing error to score the first runs of the game in the bottom of the first inning (4-0).
- The Redhawks hit a two-RBI double in the bottom of the third inning to add to their lead (6-0).
- Southeast Missouri St. added another run to its lead with an RBI single in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- The Redhawks ended the game with an RBI single to right in the bottom of the fifth inning (8-0).
Stats vs. Southeast Missouri State
- Morgan Powell (Murrieta, Calif.), Olivia Fee (Levittown, Pa.), and Nicole Davis (Toms River, N.J.) recorded hits for The Black and Gold.
- Christina Colon (Verona, N.J.) and Jocelyn Bodington (Cumberland, R.I) each struck out one batter.
- The Bulldogs picked up their second win of the season.
- Freshman Kenney now has two wins as a pitcher.
- That was the Bulldog's first walk-off win this year.
The Black and Gold will face Mississippi Valley tomorrow at 12 p.m. for the final game of the Bulldog Slamboree.