Starkville, Miss. – The Bryant University softball team defeated Mississippi Valley for the second time this weekend by a score of 2-1 in the final game of the Bulldog Slamboree on Sunday.
Coach French's Comments
"Just a great effort today, we were able to get timely hitting and play sound defense. We also got an amazing combined pitching effort from Gabi and Kylie."
Key Moment vs. Mississippi Valley
- In the top of the seventh inning the Red Devils had the tying run on third and the winning run on second with one out. Kylie Kenney (Jamison, Pa.) forced Mississippi Valley to ground out and then struck out the final batter to secure the win for the Black and Gold.
How it Happened vs. Mississippi Valley
- Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) got the first hit of the game with a two-out double to right. Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) hit an RBI single to bring in Emrish for the score. Then a throwing error from the Red Devils brought in another run for the Bulldogs (2-0) in the bottom of the first inning.
- Mississippi Valley scored a run in the top of the third inning on a Bryant throwing error cutting the lead to 2-1.
- Both teams didn't score after the third inning.
- Ermish started and pitched five innings and teammate Kenney pitched two innings in relief. Both didn't give up an earned run and combined for seven strikeouts.
Stats vs. Mississippi Valley
- Hernandez hit an RBI single, Ermish also had a hit for the Bulldogs
- Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) and Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) each stole a base against Mississippi Valley.
- Ermish struck out four and Kenney posted three strikeouts on the day.
- Bryant is now 2-0 against Mississippi Valley.
- Ermish earned her first win of the season.
- Kenney picked up her first save of the year.
- Bulldogs pitching forced the Red Devils to strand seven runners on base.
- The Black and Gold are now (3-10) overall to start the 2020 season.
Bryant will stay in Mississippi for a Monday doubleheader against Jackson St. starting at 2:00 p.m.