Jackson, Miss. – The Bryant University softball team defeated Jackson St. in the second game of their doubleheader by a score of 9-2 on Monday. The Bulldogs fell to The Tigers 3-2 in the first game.
Game 1: Jackson St. 3, Bryant 2
Game 2: Bryant 9, Jackson St. 2
Location University Field (Jackson, Miss.)
W | L | S Game 1: Leah Hopson (2-2) | Kylie Kenney (2-2)
W | L | S Game 2: Sarah McKeveny (1-3) | Elyssa Sanchez (0-3)
Coach French's Comments
- "We bounced back well in the second game and got on track on offense later in the game, but Sarah deserves a ton of credit for keeping us in the game early and throwing a gem in the circle."
Key Moment (Game 1)
- The Tigers scored three runs in the bottom of the third inning to take the lead.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- In the bottom of the third inning, Jackson St. scored on a Bulldog throwing error, which led to back to back RBI doubles for The Tigers to give them a 3-0 lead.
- Jenna Gardner (Millville, N.J.) hit a leadoff double to left in the top of the fifth inning. Tiffany Bell (Egg Harbor City, N.J.) followed that with an RBI double cutting the lead to one. A Jackson St. throwing error brought in Bell for the score (3-2).
Stats (Game 1)
- Bell led the way with two hits and an RBI for The Bulldogs, Gabrielle Ermish (Pottstown, Pa.) and Gardner also recorded a hit.
- Bilodeau stole two bases and Toni Camarillo (Corona, Calif.) stole one base on the day.
- Kylie Kenney (Jamison, Pa.) had four strikeouts and teammate Sarah McKeveney had two.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- The Bulldogs had a four-run lead after the top of the fifth inning.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the top of the second inning, Dakota Bilodeau (Milford, N.H.) hit a single and then stole second base. After this Marianna Politis (Arcadia, Calif.) was walked and an error by The Tigers allowed the Bulldogs to take the lead 1-0.
- Bilodeau hit a double to left and then Carlyn Hernandez (Cypress, Calif.) and Sabrina Crane (Newtown, Pa.) hit back to back RBI singles in the top of the fourth inning (3-0).
- Bell reached base on a Jackson St. throwing error, which set up Garnder who hit an RBI double in the top of the fifth inning (4-0).
- The Tigers hit an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth inning to make the score 4-1.
- The Black and Gold added three more runs to their lead in the top of the sixth inning when Bilodeau hit a leadoff single, which was followed by a walk and a two-RBI double from Crane (6-1). Camarillo brought in the final run of the top of the sixth inning with a sacrifice fly to left to give Bryant a 7-1 advantage.
- Gardner hit a leadoff single and then Aleix Hudson (Lawrenceville, Ga.) brought in the run on an RBI double in the top of the seventh inning (8-1). The Tigers recorded an error which allowed Bioldeau to get on base and Hudson to advance to third. Helaina Michaud (Phoenixville, Pa.) hit a groundball to the third baseman, which brought Hudson in for the score (9-1)
- Jackson St. scored the final run of the game on a Bulldog error to make the score 9-2 in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Stats (Game 2)
- Bilodeau went 3-4 with two singles and a double.
- Crane had three RBI's on two hits against Jackson St. Hernandez, Gardner, Camarillo, Hudson, and Michaud recorded one RBI.
- Hernandez, Garnder, Camarillo, Ermish, and Hudson all had one hit for The Bulldogs
- McKeveny had four strikeouts and pitched a complete game.
- Politis stole two bases and Camarillo, Bilodeau, and Bell each had one steal.
- Bryant has won two of the last three games and is now (4-11) this season.
- McKeveny picked up her first win of the year.
- The Bulldogs had 14 hits total in today's games against Jackson St.
- Crane, Bilodeau, and Bell all had multi-hit games.
The Black and Gold will face off against the University of Alabama Birmingham for a Wednesday night game starting at 6 p.m.