Smithfield, R.I. - Freshman Megan Marcel of the Bryant Univeristy softball team hit a grand slam and a solo home run in today's doubleheader against UMass. Carlyn Hernandez and Courtney Paolantonio also hit home runs today for the Bulldogs.
The Black and Gold fell to UMass 15-6 in-game one and 10-2 in-game two today at Conaty Park.
Game 1: UMass 15, Bryant 6
Game 2: UMass 10, Bryant 2
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Jessie Dipasquale (1-1) | Kylie Kenney (0-1)
W | L | S: Game 2: Jessie Dipasquale (2-1) | Jocelyn Bodington (1-2)
Coach French's Comments
"A lot of mistakes today defensively can't win a lot when you do that, but I'm proud of the young kids, who hit the ball hard today and knocked a few balls out of the yard".
Key moment (Game 1)
- The Minutewomen scored five runs in the top of the first inning and had a lead for the rest of the game.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- In the top of the first inning, UMass scored on a Bulldog error, and then followed that up with a single to right to take a two-run lead (2-0). Caroline Deem then hit a three-run home run clearing the bases (5-0).
- Umass then hit back-to-back RBI singles to add two more runs to their lead (7-0) in the top of the second.
- Massachusetts recorded another run on a ground out to second in the top of the third (8-0).
- In the top of the fourth inning, the Minutewomen added two runs on a bases-loaded walk, and a sacrifice fly (10-0).
- Aleix Hudson hit a double to left, which was followed by a Hernandez single to get runners on the corners. The Bulldogs then were walked twice to bring in a run (10-1). Marcel then hit a grand slam for the first hit and home run of her career in the bottom of the fourth (10-5).
- In the top of the fifth UMass, brought in a run on a groundball to third base (11-5).
- UMass scored their final four runs of the game in the top of the sixth inning on two stolen bases and two walks with the bases loaded (15-5).
- Courtney Paolantonio hit a solo home run to score the final run of the game during the bottom of the sixth inning (15-6).
- Marcel and Paolantonio hit home runs.
- Marcel registered four RBIs.
- Paolantonio and Erica Barley posted one RBI.
- Hudson, Hernandez, and Gianna Ceccarelli produced a hit.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- The Black and Gold held UMass scoreless until the top of the fourth inning when the Minute Women scored seven runs.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the fourth UMass, scored seven runs on a groundout, two RBI singles, and a three-run home run to take a 7-0 lead.
- Hernandez and Marcel hit back-to-back solo home runs to the right in the bottom of the fourth, which cut the UMass lead to five (7-2).
- The Minutewomen hit a sacrifice fly to left and scored a second run on a Bryant throwing error (9-2). Then UMass hit an RBI-single between second and shortstop to bring in the final run, which ended the game in the fifth inning (10-2).
Stats (Game 2)
- Hernandez had three hits including, a home run.
- Toni Camarillo had two hits and a stolen base.
- Marcel recorded a home run for her second of the day.
- Trystan Salvador and Hailey Aspinwall produced a hit.
- Bodington and Caroline Paolantonio struck out one batter each.
- The Bulldogs hit four home runs today.
- Marcel hit the first grand slam of the year for the Black and Gold.
- Marcel and Courtney Paolantonio's first career-hits were home runs.
- Bryant now has 19 hits this year.
The Bulldogs will begin conference play with a Saturday and Sunday doubleheader against Mount St. Mary's.