Smithfield, R.I. - Morgan Powell of the Bryant Univeristy softball team had a three-hit game, and Courtney Paolantonio launched her second long ball of the season in today's afternoon doubleheader against Mount St. Mary's.
The Bulldogs fell 9-4 in the first game and lost 6-4 during the second game versus the Mountaineers.
Game 1: Mount St. Mary's 9, Bryant 4
Game 2: Mount St. Mary's 6, Bryant 4
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Amanda Berkley (6-4) | Kylie Kenney (0-2)
W | L | S: Game 2: Avery Neuhart (2-7) | Jocelyn Bodington (1-3)
Coach French's Comments
"Tough day, but I'm proud of our offense we put a lot of pressure on we just didn't capitalize on all our chances."
Key moment (Game 1)
- Mount St. Mary's scored five runs in the top of the third inning.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- In the bottom of the second inning, Morgan Powell started the inning with a single down the left-field line. Dakota Bilodeau brought Powell home with an RBI double (1-0). Trystan Salvador then singled, and Toni Camarillo reached on an infield error. Aleix Hudson then scored the second Bulldog run on a sacrifice fly (2-0).
- The Mountaineers hit two RBI singles and then a bases-clearing triple to take a three-run lead in the top of the third inning (5-2).
- During the top of the fourth inning, Mount St. Mary's added two more runs on an RBI single and a fielder's choice (7-2).
- Mount scored their eighth run of the game on a single up the middle in the top of the sixth (8-2).
- In the bottom of the sixth, Camarillo produced an RBI-double, and Hudson hit an RBI single up the middle to give the Bulldogs two more runs (8-4).
- The Mountaineers scored the final run of the game in the top of the seventh on a Bryant error (9-4).
- Powell recorded three hits on the day.
- Hudson had two RBIs on two hits. Salvador also registered two hits.
- Bilodeau and Camarillo produced one RBI.
- Alexandra Hickey, Camarillo, and Bilodeau recorded a hit.
- Kenney struck out three batters and, Courtney Paolantonio fanned one.
- The Black and Gold registered ten hits.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- The Bulldogs held Mount St. Mary's scoreless until the top of the sixth when the Mountaineers scored four runs.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the second inning, Bilodeau reached first on a fielder's choice with two outs and stole second. Salvador then hit a single through the right side to bring in the run (1-0).
- Hickey hit a solo shot to give the Bulldogs a two-run lead in the bottom of the fourth (2-0).
- The Mountaineers stole second and home with runners on the corners (2-1) and then hit a three-run home run to take the lead in the top half of the sixth (4-2).
- In the top of the seventh inning, Mount St. Mary's added a pair of runs on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly (6-2).
- Courtney Paolantonio launched a two-run home run to left-center in the bottom of the seventh for the final runs of the contest (6-4).
Stats (Game 2)
- Hudson and Salvador recorded two hits.
- Salvador and Hickey had one RBI each.
- Gianna Ceccarelli, Bilodeau, and Powell, registered a hit.
- Courtney Paolantonio and Hickey hit a home run.
- Bodington struck out six, and Kenney struck out one.
- Bilodeau stole a base.
- Courtney Paolantonio and Megan Marcel are tied for the team lead in home runs (2).
- The Bulldogs had ten hits in both games today.
- The Black and Gold scored eight runs in the doubleheader.
- Powell had a three-hit game in the first game.
- Bodington has 15 strikeouts this season, which is good for first on the team.
- Salvador recorded her first RBI as a Bulldog in game two.
The Bulldogs will face Mount St. Mary's in a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 10:00 AM.