Smithfield, R.I. - Kylie Kenney of the Bryant Univeristy softball team pitched a one-hit complete game in the 4-1 win against Fairleigh Dickinson in the second game of the doubleheader. The Black and Gold fell in game one 15-9.
Game 1: FDU 15, Bryant 9
Game 2: Bryant 4, FDU 1
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Alayna Savaglo (6-7) | Caroline Paolantonio (0-4)
W | L | S: Game 2: Kylie Kenney (1-4) | Abby England (2-7)
Coach French's Comments
"Just a great effort from our kids today, they never stopped fighting in game 1 and took that momentum into game two. I can't say enough about Kylie's effort, taking a no-hitter into the 7th was just an incredible effort. She has fought and battled so much this year and to put it all together today is a credit to her fight and will".
Key moment (Game 1)
- The Knights scored five runs in the seventh inning.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- In the top of the second, FDU scored on a wild pitch (1-0).
- The Knights hit back-to-back RBI doubles in the top of the third (3-0).
- Carlyn Hernandez and Morgan Powell hit one-out singles to get into scoring position. Aleix Hudson hit a single to left field, scoring the first Bulldog run in the bottom of the third (3-1).
- In the top of the fourth, Fairleigh Dickinson hit an RBI single and a groundout (5-1).
- The Black and Gold got the bases loaded on two walks and an FDU error. Courtney Paolantonio hit a sacrifice fly to left, bringing in another run (5-2).
- Fairleigh Dickinson scored four runs in the top of the fifth after hitting an RBI single, a groundout, and producing a bases-loaded walk (9-2).
- Morgan Powell hit a bunt single, and then Aleix Hudson launched a home run to right-center in the bottom of the fifth (9-4).
- In the top of the sixth FDU, stole second and home with runners on the corners (10-4).
- Hernandez began the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run to right. The Bulldogs then hit back-to-back singles and produced a walk to load the bases. Erica Barley hit a single to left that brought in two runs. Alexis Clancy then hit a single past the first baseman that scored another two runs (10-9).
- FDU scored the final five runs on two wild pitches, a walk, and a single in the top of the seventh (15-10).
- Powell led the team with three hits.
- Hernandez and Hudson both had a home run and two hits total.
- Barley, Dakota Bilodeau, and Clancy registered a hit.
- Hudson produced three RBIs, Clancy and Barley had two, Hernandez and Courtney Paolantonio registered one.
- Bilodeau stole a base against the Knights.
- Caroline Paolantonio and Clancy each struck out one batter.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- Kenney had a no-hitter heading into the seventh inning.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the third Bilodeau was walked with one out. Barley and Clancy then hit back-to-back RBI singles giving the Bulldogs a two-run lead (2-0).
- Alexandra Hickey picked up a lead-off walk. Allison Tomaino came in as a pinch-runner and stole second and then advanced to third on a groundout. Powell then hit an RBI single and stole second on the next play. Bilodeau brought in Powell after hitting an RBI single to left in the bottom of the fourth (4-0).
- FDU hit a solo home run to right in the top of the seventh (4-1).
Stats (Game 2)
- Kenney pitched a complete game and struck out six while giving up one hit.
- Powell and Clancy had two hits. Barley and Biodeau recorded one.
- Powell, Bilodeau, Clancy, and Barley registered an RBI.
- Powell stole two bases, and Tomaino swiped one.
- Kenney picked up her first win of the season.
- Powell had two multi-hit games.
- The Bulldogs scored 13 runs total today.
- Bryant won their third game of the year.
The Black and Gold will finish their series with FDU tomorrow in a Sunday doubleheader.