Smithfield, R.I. - Morgan Powell of the Bryant Univeristy softball team had five hits and four RBIs in the losses today to Fairleigh Dickinson. The Black and Gold fell 5-3 and 12-8 in today's games at Conaty Park.
Game 1: FDU 5, Bryant 3
Game 2: FDU 12, Bryant 8
Location: Conaty Park (Smithfield, R.I.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Alayna Savaglo (7-7) | Caroline Paolantonio (0-5)
W | L | S: Game 2: Malori Bell (3-3) | Kylie Kenney (1-5)
Coach French's Comments
"I'm proud of our fight today we kept coming back we just couldn't get the big hit to get over the hump in the end".
Key Moment (Game 1)
- The Knights scored a run in the fifth and sixth innings to take a three-run lead.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- In the top of the first, the Knights scored two runs on an RBI single (2-0).
- FDU stole home and second with runners on the corners in the top of the second (3-0).
- Gianna Ceccarelli hit a leadoff single and then advanced to third on back-to-back wild pitches. Powell hit a single through the infield to score the run in the bottom of the third (3-1).
- In the bottom of the fourth Aleix Hudson avoided the tag and scored on an infield single from Caroline Paolantonio (3-2).
- The Knights added a run on a sacrifice fly to left field in the top of the fifth (4-2).
- FDU scored another run on a sacrifice fly to right field in the top of the sixth (5-2).
- In the bottom of the sixth Hudson, hit a leadoff home run to left-center (5-3).
- Hudson had two hits and an RBI. Powell and Caroline Paolantonio produced a hit and an RBI.
- Trystan Salvador, Erica Barley, and Ceccarelli all had a hit.
- Powell stole a base today.
- Caroline Paolantonio struck out one batter and pitched a complete game.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- The Black and Gold had a six-run seventh but fell short.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the top of the second FDU, scored five runs on a single, Bulldog error, and a three-run home run (5-0).
- Hailey Aspinwall began the bottom of the second with a leadoff single. Carlyn Hernandez hit an RBI double to right scoring Aspinwall (5-1). Powell then hit a triple giving the Bulldogs another run (5-2).
- In the top of the fifth, the Knights hit an RBI single down the left-field line that scored two (7-2). FDU then hit a triple, bringing in a run, but the batter was thrown out at home on a Bryant relay (8-2).
- Fairleigh Dickinson scored a run on a double to right-center in the top of the sixth (9-2).
- The Knights hit two RBI doubles scoring three runs in the top of the seventh (12-2).
- In the bottom of the seventh, Powell hit a leadoff double. Then the Bulldogs produced four straight walks scoring two runs (12-4). Salvador hit a groundball to shortstop that the infielder overthrew giving, the Black and Gold another run (12-5). A Jenna Gardner walk and a Powell RBI double scored three more runs before the final out was recorded (12-8).
Stats (Game 2)
- Powell had four hits and three RBIs in game two.
- Hernandez recorded three hits and an RBI.
- Aspinwall registered two hits.
- Gardner, Barley, Salvador, and Caroline Paolantonio all recorded an RBI.
- Bilodeau, Gardner, and Powell had a stolen base.
- Kenney struck out one batter.
- Powell had five hits and four RBIs total today.
- The Bulldogs scored 11 runs on Sunday.
The Black and Gold will conclude the regular season with a home series against Sacred Heart this weekend.