Bulldogs stand strong against Georgia and UNC
ATHENS, GA. – The Bryant University softball team led No. 13 Georgia 2-1 after McKenzie McAloon knocked a two-run RBI double in the top of the fourth inning. UGA would go on to win 5-2.
During game one of today's action, Sarah McKeveny held the Tar Heels to two runs in the 2-0 loss.
Game 1: UNC 2, Bryant 0
Game 2: Georgia 5, Bryant 2
Location: Turner Softball Stadium (Athens, GA.)
W | L | S: Game 1: Carlie Myrtle (1-1) | Sarah McKeveny (0-2)
W | L | S: Game 2: Madison Kerpics (4-2) | Kylie Kenney (0-2)
Coach French's Comments
"I couldn't be prouder of the fight and resiliency of this team. We played incredibly strong competition and were in the game all day. We got great pitching and defense and were able to put pressure on their defense with our bats".
Key moment (Game 1)
- The Bulldogs had the tying runs on the corners in the top of the seventh but could not bring a run home.
How it Happened (Game 1)
- UNC hit an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth, scoring the only runs of the ball game.
- McKeveny pitched a complete game, striking out two batters, and holding UNC to three hits.
- Aleix Hudson recored a hit.
- McKeveny registered a hit.
Key Moment (Game 2)
- UGA broke the 2-2 tie on a double in the fifth inning.
How it Happened (Game 2)
- In the bottom of the third, UGA hit a double to the left, scoring the game's first run.
- Toni Camarillo hit a single to begin the top of the fourth. Abby Trimble was walked, which set up Josie Gex, who laid a sacrifice bunt advancing the runners to second and third. McAloon then knocked a double to left-center, giving Bryant a 2-1 lead.
- Georgia responded with a solo home run to tie the game in the bottom of the fourth.
- UGA took a two-run lead on a double to left at the bottom of the fifth.
- Georgia tallied the contest's final run on a solo home run in the bottom of the sixth.
Stats (Game 2)
- Camarillo recorded two hits.
- McAloon posted the first double of her career and two RBIs.
- Fee registered a hit.
- Kenney had two strikeouts in five innings pitched.
The Bulldogs will play Drexel in the HU/Norfolk Tournament on Friday.