PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Bryant University men's and women's track and field team opened the indoor season with a broken school record, two New England Qualifiers, 13 athletes entering Bryant's Top-10 Record Book, and a plethora of personal bests at the Alden Invitational hosted by Brown on Saturday.
Freshman Grace Yost (Wanaque, N.J.) started off her collegiate career strong as she set a new school record in the 60-meter hurdles. The rookie posted a time of 9.34 for a fifth-place finish. Junior Chris Fasano (Lake Grove, N.Y.) and freshman Lily LaGoy (San Diego, Calif.) became New England qualifier in shot put. Fasano threw 14.88m while Lagoy threw 12.75m.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"Today was a great start to the season," said head coach Mitch Switzer. "Across the board, we were much more competitive as a team than in years past and we walked away with a new school record in the women's 60 hurdles, and two New England qualifiers in men's and women's shot put. The freshmen really stepped up in their first collegiate meet and I can't wait to see where we're able to go from here when we return in January."
MEN TOP PERFORMERS
- Fasano started the 2019-20 season off strong as he became a New England Qualifier in shot put throwing 14.88m. Fasano's performance helped him finish fourth overall.
- In the field events, two Bulldogs entered Bryant's Top-10 record book including Nicholas Curci (Jupiter, Fla.) is now sixth all-time in pole vault clearing 4.15m finishing third overall, and Samuel Sargent (Westminster, Mass.) who threw 13.70m in weight throw finishing tenth.
- Bryant posted three top-10 finishers in the 300m. Adam Winiarz (Norton, Mass.) led with a time of 36.17 finishing fifth, followed by Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.) in sixth-place with a time of 36.26. Jacob Goodman (Longmeadow, Mass.) trailed in ninth-place as he also entered Bryant's Top-10 record book with a time of 36.72 ranking sixth all-time at Bryant.
- Freshman Kevin Aroke (Peabody, Mass.) also etched his name in Bryant's record book during his collegiate debut. Aroke is now fifth all-time with a time of 8.93.
WOMEN TOP PERFORMERS
- In her collegiate debut, Yost set a new school record in the 60-meter hurdles. Yost finished fifth overall with a record-breaking time of 9.34.
- Sophomore Nicole Xiarhos (Berlin, Conn.) and freshman Patricia Adesanya (Lowell, Mass.) led the Bulldogs in the 60-meter dash. Xiarhos finished with a time of 7.96 and is now third all-time at Bryant while Adesanya posted a time of 8.21 and ranks ninth all-time for the Bulldogs.
- Emma Garrity (Wilmington, Mass.) finished first overall in the 500m with a time of 1:18.92. The first-place performance ranks Garrity third in Bryant's Top-10 record book.
- Rebecca Reynolds (Tewksbury, Mass.) also entered Bryant's record book. In the 300m, Reynolds finished with a time of 43.75 and is now third all-time.
- In field events, LaGoy became a New England qualifier in shot put. LaGoy finished seventh overall at the Invitational throwing 12.75m.
- Shileigh Martinez (North Kingstown, R.I.) finished second in pole vault clearing a height of 3.10. Martinez now ranks third all-time at Bryant.
- Anna Orticerio (Smithfield, R.I.) and Laura Rizik (Oradell, N.J.) now rank sixth and seventh at Bryant in weight throw. Orticerio threw 12.95m while Rizik threw 12.43m.
The Bulldogs take a break for the remainder of December and will be back in action on Jan. 10 for the Dartmouth Relays.