STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Emily Cluck (Johnson City, N.J.) and Jason Dolan (Westford, Mass.) led the Bryant University men's and women's indoor track and field team on day two of the Northeast Conference Indoor Championship on Saturday. Both the men and the women finished eighth overall as they racked up the most points ever at the indoor championship meet.
Dolan was the lone Bulldog on the men's side to medal in an event as he took home a bronze medal in the 800m. Cluck not only earned a gold medal but also shattered both the meet and the school record in the 400m. Freshman Emma Garrity (Wilmington, Mass.) also posted a school record-breaking performance in the 500m despite not medaling in the event.
COACH SWITZER'S COMMENTS
"This was an awesome weekend for the team. We walk away with the highest point totals ever for the men and the women at the indoor championship meet. A lot of people rose to the occasion on day two and fought hard for the program. The support they showed for each other really helped carry people to great performances, and for the first time, we were able to score points from every group event group on the team. I'm proud of Emily and Jason for medaling in some tough events and happy for Emily to end her NEC Indoor Championship career with a conference meet record. This has been a great indoor season for the team and I'm excited to see how they build off this going into the outdoor season."
TEAM RESULTS (M)
1. Wagner – 143.5
2. Mount St. Mary's – 115
3. Fairleigh Dickinson – 96
4. Central Connecticut – 88
5. LIU – 78
6. Saint Francis U – 34.5
7. Merrimack – 32
8. Bryant – 31
9. Sacred Heart – 30
10. St. Francis Brooklyn – 12
TEAM RESULTS (W)
1. Fairleigh Dickinson – 109
2. Mount St. Mary's – 97
3. LIU – 96
4. Sacred Heart – 78.5
5. Saint Francis U – 64
6. Central Connecticut – 63
7. Wagner – 55
8. Bryant – 42.5
9. Robert Morris – 36
10. Merrimack – 21
11. St. Francis Brooklyn – 1
MEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Dolan earned a bronze medal in the 800m as the only Bulldog for the men to finish among the top three in an event. The sophomore posted a time of 1:53.88 and qualified for IC4As. Dolan also scored two points in the mile run as he finished seventh with a PR of 4:15.91.
- Sophomore Andrew Canale (Lincroft, N.J.) scored for the Black and Gold in the 400m. Canale finished fifth-overall compiling four points with a time of 49.13 which also qualifies for IC4A.
- The 4x400 relay team of Brian Murray (Westford, Mass.), Adam Winiarz (Norton, Mass.), Jacob Goodman (Longmeadow, Mass.), and Canale finished fifth overall with a time of 3:22.02. The fifth-place finish scored four points for the Bulldogs and marks a season-best for the Black and Gold.
- In distance medley relay, the team of Jordan Dagrin (North Kingstown, R.I.), Kevin Stankiewicz (Weston, Conn.), Christopher Wrenn (Norton, Mass.), and Dolan ran to a sixth-place finish with a time of 10:30.47 which brought in three points.
- Senior Nicholas Curci (Jupiter, Fla.) and junior Jacob Borgia (Westborough, Mass.) finished fourth and fifth in pole vault. Curci cleared a PR of 4.30m while Borgia cleared 4.20m. The duo combined for nine points.
- Junior Brett Cloutier (North Attleboro, Mass.) scored three points in shot put with a PR of 15.02m for a sixth-place finish.
WOMEN'S TOP PERFORMERS
- Cluck defended her 400m title by shattering the meet record with a time of 54.72. Not only did the time break the NEC Championship meet record, but it also breaks Bryant's school record and qualifies the senior for ECACs.
- Garrity finished just outside the top three as she scored for the Black and Gold in fourth-place in the 500m. Garrity finished with a personal-best time of 1:16.71 which also marks a new school record at Bryant.
- Sophomore Sarah Freeman (Merrimac, Mass.) brought five points over to the Bulldogs with a fourth-place finish in the mile run. Freeman finished with a time of 5:07.60 marking a personal best.
- Sophomore Julia Ayres (Collegeville, Pa.) posted a fourth-place finish in the 5000m for a personal-best of 18:06.71. Ayres scored five points for the Black and Gold.
- Also in the 5000m, freshman Allison Corcoran (Grafton, Mass.) set a new personal-best with a time of 19:08.90 as she finished in 14th.
- The 4x400 team of Nicole Xiarhos (Berlin, Conn.), Grace Yost (Wanaque, N.J.), Garrity, and Cluck scored two points with a seventh-place finish crossing the finish line at 4:04.32.
- Women's distance medley relay finished fourth with a time of 12:28.04. The squad consisted of Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth, Mass.), Rebecca Reynolds (Tewksbury, Mass.), Jackie Prestininzi (Shrewsbury, Mass.) and Freeman as they compiled five points for the Bulldogs.