SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Providence, 76-32, in the opening round of the Ocean State Tip-Off Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
The Black and Gold is set to compete in the consolation game of the tournament on Sunday at 12 p.m. against either Brown or Rhode Island.
Providence 76, Bryant 32
Records: Bryant (1-7), Providence (6-1)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- The Friars grew to an early 10-2 lead to start the game and did not give up their lead for the remainder of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Providence won the tip and raced off on a 10-2 run to start the game.
- A three from Taty LaFrance Boyce (Norwich, Conn.) at the 6:11 mark ended the Providence run as neither team was able to establish any sort of real run for the remainder of the quarter.
- Zegarowski knocked down a three to put Bryant within five, but the Friars responded with a jumper from Earlette Scott to end the quarter, 17-10.
- Providence held the Bulldogs to just one point in the first four minutes of the second quarter until Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) hit back-to-back layups for the lone pair of field goals for the Black and Gold in the second frame.
- The Friars went on to post their highest field goal percentage of the game in the second quarter with 70 percent off seven-of-10 shooting and two-of-three from behind the arc.
- Across the second and third quarter, Providence went on its biggest scoring run of the day with 18 points until Brooke Bjelko (Plattsburgh, N.Y.) pulled down an offensive rebound and put it back for two.
- Bryant posted its lowest-scoring performance of the day with just four points in the third quarter off two-of-16 shooting.
- With 2:30 to go in the game, senior Stephanie Lesko (Rumson, N.J.) and freshman Nicole Gallagher (Foxboro, Mass.) sank back-to-back three's but it wasn't enough to break into the 39-point deficit. Providence would go on to finish the game, 76-32.
- Zegarowski led the Bulldogs in scoring with nine points off four-of-11 shooting.
- Bravo pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Bryant shot 19.6 percent for the game off 11-of-56 shooting, while Providence was 46.2 percent from the field off 30-of-65 shooting.
- The Bulldogs outrebounded the Friars, 42-39.
- The Bulldogs are now 1-8 all-time against the Friars and 1-5 in the Division I era.
- Today's game marks the third time this season Zegarowski has led the Bulldogs in scoring and fifth in her career.
Bryant is back in action in the consolation game of the Ocean State Tip-Off. The Bulldogs will meet with either Brown or URI at 12 p.m. in the Chace Athletic Center.