SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Senior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) posted 14 points, 10 rebounds and five steals but the Bryant University women's basketball team couldn't overcome early shooting woes in a 58-45 loss to Wagner on Monday night at the Chace Athletic Center.
Holloway's double-double was her fifth of the season and the 41st of her Bryant career. She also moved to within 15 rebounds of 1,000 for her career.
Wagner 58, Bryant 45
Records: Bryant (5-13, 3-4 NEC), Wagner (7-12, 3-5 NEC)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Wagner used a 10-0, sparked by back-to-back 3s, run in the fourth quarter to pull away after Bryant had cut the deficit to seven.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wagner jumped out to a 12-2 advantage in the game's first 6:17.
- The Bulldogs scored the final four points of the half to pull within 33-19 at the break.
- Six straight Bryant points – with four from junior Kandis Taylor (Sunrise, Fla.) – brought the Bulldogs back within 10 at 38-28.
- Two Holloway free throws and a beautiful pass from Holloway to Taylor at the shot-clock buzzer pulled Bryant within eight at the end of the third quarter.
- The Bulldogs, however, were held without a field goal until there was 20 seconds left in the game, allowing the Seahawks to pull away for the victory.
- Bryant finished the game 12-of-49 from the field, 1-of-16 from beyond the arc and 20-of-36 from the free throw line.
- Wagner made 8-of-17 from beyond the arc.
- Holloway posted 14 points, 10 rebounds and five steals.
- Taylor posted nine points and a pair of steals.
- Masey Zegarowski (Hamilton, Mass.) posted seven points and four rebounds.
- Bryant drops to 17-3 all-time against Wagner.
- Taylor tied her career-high in points for the second-straight game.
- Holloway now has 41 career double-doubles.
- Holloway now has 985 career rebounds, 15 away from becoming the third player in DI program history with 1,000+ points and 1,000+ rebounds.
UP NEXT: Saint Francis U
Bryant opens the month of February with the first half of the annual trip to Pennsylvania, squaring off with Saint Francis U Saturday at 3 p.m. on NEC Front Row.