MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. – The Bryant University women's basketball team dropped a 69-39 decision at Robert Morris on Monday night.
Senior Sydney Holloway (Morgantown, W.Va.) led the Black and Gold with 17 points and was one rebound shy of breaking through to 1,000 career boards.
Robert Morris 69, Bryant 39
Records: Bryant (5-15, 3-6), Robert Morris (15-6, 10-0)
Location: UPMC Events Center (Moon Township, Pa.)
- The Bulldogs cut the Colonial's lead to just two with 5:41 to go in the first half before Robert Morris closed out the second quarter on a 12-2 run. The run gave RMU enough momentum to hold onto the lead for the remainder of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bryant hung in with Robert Morris an offensive rebound and a put-back at 6:57 fueled a 9-0 run for the Colonials, 14-9.
- Kandis Taylor (Sunrise, Fla.) and Holloway were the two from the Black and Gold to respond to Robert Morris as Holloway closed out the quarter with a perfect eight-for-eight mark from the stripe followed by Taylor who contributed four points off two-of-two shooting. The duo helped put the Bulldogs within six at the end of the first frame, 22-16.
- Three minutes into the second quarter, Taylor drove to the basket to cut the Colonial's lead to four before Trinity Bravo (Bridgeport, Conn.) exploded to the rim to make it a two-point game before the media break, 26-24.
- Robert Morris responded to Bryant's comeback by closing out the half on a 12-2 run, 38-12.
- The Colonials opened the second half on a 10-1 run holding Bryant to just one from the stripe before the media timeout.
- The Bulldogs were held to six points in the third quarter and were outscored, 21-6.
- With 6:40 to go in the game, Holloway drove to the basket and floated it over the rim for the only made field goal in the fourth frame for the Black and Gold. The Bulldogs tallied seven points in the fourth quarter with five coming from the free-throw line.
- Holloway led with 17 points with 10 points coming from the charity stripe. The senior shot 10-of-12 from the line and three-of-seven from the field. Holloway also led with seven rebounds.
- Bravo matched Holloway with seven rebounds and led the team with three steals. Bravo added seven points.
- Taylor contributed eight points off four-of-six shooting.
- The Bulldogs were outrebounded 35-31.
- Holloway's 17 points tied her season-best that she grabbed at Holy Cross in November. She is also just one rebound away from 1,000.
- Bryant drops to 5-19 all-time against Robert Morris.
UP NEXT: Central Connecticut
The Bulldogs host Central Connecticut on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 1 p.m. for a Bryant Basketball doubleheader. The game will be featured on ESPN+.