SMITHFIELD, R.I. – Despite a career-high of 30 points from senior Brooke Bjelko, the Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Saint Francis in its first loss of the conference slate, 67-56.
Bjelko's career-high was thanks to a 78 field goal percentage as she sank 14 of her 18 attempts. Alana Perkins was the only other Bulldog to net double-figures with 10 points as she shot four-of-13 from the field and was two-of-five from behind the arc.
Bryant 56, Saint Francis 67
Records: Bryant (4-3, 2-1) | Saint Francis (7-4, 5-0)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- The Red Flash took off on a quick 6-0 start to kick off the game. Saint Francis never relinquished its lead as they grew the margin as high as 16 in the second quarter.
How it Happened
- Saint Francis took an early lead to start the game thanks to a 6-0 run as the teams headed into the first media timeout of the game. The Red Flash extended to a nine-point lead at the end of the first frame, 15-6, as they shot 40% (6-15) from the field compared to Bryant's 23.5% (4-17).
- A Karson Swogger three-pointer helped SFU to its largest lead of the night in the second quarter, 31-15, as the Bulldogs struggled to break the double-digit deficit as they trailed, 37-15, after the first half.
- At the 6:23 mark in the third quarter, Shannon O'Connor drained a long two at the top of the key sparking Bryant's largest scoring run of the day. The 7-0 run jolted the Bulldogs within five of the Red Flash, 41-36.
- Bryant posted its best shooting performance in the third frame as they shot 54.5% (6-11), but six-straight points from Saint Francis gave the Red Flash a 14-point cushion as they headed into the fourth quarter.
- The Bulldogs pulled within nine on two occasions in the fourth quarter, but Saint Francis put the nail in the coffin after the final media timeout with 2:43 left to play. Swogger netted two more baskets and the Red Flash only allowed the Black and Gold two free throws before the final buzzer.
- The Bulldogs posted a 40.7% (25-59) field goal percentage while the Red Flash went 45.0% (27-60).
- Ten of Saint Francis's 67 points came from the foul line.
- Bryant was outrebounded, 36-32.
- Bjelko shot 14-of-18 from the field to achieve the 30-point performance. The senior added six rebounds and three assists.
- Perkins netted ten points off four-of-13 shooting while also adding five rebounds, two steals, and an assist.
- Sophomore Nicole Gallagher contributed six points shooting two-of-eight from the field.
- Gallagher led with a game-high three assists.
- Fatou Jallow added four points, three rebounds, one assist, and one steal.
- Senior Kandis Taylor matched Bjelko with six rebounds.
- Mariona Planes Fortuny, Shannon O'Connor, and Taylor each added two points apiece.
- Bjelko's 30 points mark a career-high. The last time a Bulldog posted a 30-point performance was Jenniqua '15 Bailey in 2014 when she dropped 35 against Providence.
- Saint Francis continues to lead the all-time series record, 14-9, but they continue to trail, 7-4, when playing in Smithfield.
It's a quick turnaround for the Bulldogs when they meet Saint Francis for a rematch tomorrow, January 15, at 4 p.m. on ESPN3.