SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball team falls to 2-2 in Northeast Conference play as Saint Francis topped the Bulldogs, 70-66, in Smithfield on Friday evening.
The game saw six lead changes as junior transfer Fatou Jallow led the way for the Bulldogs with 17 points. Sophomore Nicole Gallagher also chipped in 16 points as the duo each posted a game-high five steals each. Jallow and Gallagher were the lone double-digit scorers for the Black and Gold as senior Brooke Bjelko added nine points followed by Shannon O'Connor with eight.
Bryant 66, Saint Francis 70
Records: Bryant (4-4, 2-2) | Saint Francis (8-4, 6-0)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Saint Francis's 8-0 run to kick off the fourth quarter was today's deciding factor as they regained the lead and did not relinquish it until the final buzzer.
How It Happened
- The game started with a series of runs after each team netted a three after the opening tip. The Red Flash took off first on an 8-0 run sparked by their strongest offensive threat Karson Swogger. The Bulldogs responded immediately when a pair of free throws from Bjelko kickstarted an 8-0 run of their own to tie the game at 13 apiece. However, SFU netted two more buckets before the end of the first frame to take the lead, 17-13.
- The second quarter saw four lead changes and a tied score on four different occasions. Ultimately it was SFU who held on to its lead by just one point, 35-34.
- The Bulldogs came out on fire in the third quarter posting their best shooting percentage of the game of 66.7% (8-12), while also holding the Red Flash to their worst shooting performance of the game. Saint Francis shot just 20% (3-15) as Bryant outscored them, 20-15, to take the lead, 54-50, before the final quarter.
- Bryant's lead was short-lived when Saint Francis scored eight-straight to start the fourth quarter. An offensive rebound and a putback from O'Connor put the Bulldogs within one with 6:25 still left to play, but that was as close as Bryant would get as the Red Flash closed out the game, 70-66.
- Jallow led the Bulldogs with 17 points off seven-of-15 shooting. She finished the game with a game-high five steals, two rebounds, and one assist.
- Gallagher trailed closely behind Jallow with 16 points off six-of-nine shooting. Gallagher added eight rebounds, five assists, and tied Jallow with a game-high of five steals.
- Bjelko contributed nine points, eight rebounds, and four assists.
- O'Connor added eight points.
- The Bulldogs shot 46.6% from the field (27-58) compared to 43.4% (23-53) from SFU.
- The Red Flash outrebounded the Bulldogs, 35-29.
- The game saw six lead changes and eight ties.
- Jallow's 17 points and five steals marks a career-high during her time as a Bulldog.
- Gallagher also notched a career-best with five steals.
- As a team, the Bulldogs posted a season-best 15 steals and also posted their best field goal percentage of the season with 46.6%.
- The Red Flash is now 15-9 all-time against the Bulldogs.
Bryant hits the road for the first time this conference season to meet Central Connecticut on Monday, Jan. 18 at 4 p.m. in New Britain.