SMITHFIELD, R.I. – The Bryant University women's basketball team fell to Sacred Heart, 64-40, on Saturday evening.
Senior Brooke Bjelko spearheaded Bryant's offense with 16 points and was one rebound shy of her third-straight double-double. Bjelko was the lone Bulldog to notch double-figure scoring as junior transfer Fatou Jallow trailed with eight points.
Sacred Heart 64, Bryant 40
Records: Bryant (5-6, 3-4) | Sacred Heart (6-5, 6-3)
Location: Chace Athletic Center (Smithfield, R.I.)
- Sacred Heart finished the first quarter on a 6-0 run followed by an 8-0 run to start the next frame to grow to a 14-point cushion that Bryant could not recover from.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lucie Castagne drained a corner three off a pass from Golden at the block to tie the game at 10 all with three minutes left to play in the first quarter, but the Pioneers scored six-straight to close out the quarter, 16-10.
- Sacred Heart started the second quarter on an 8-0 run thanks to a pair of three's to open the quarter. The Pioneers couldn't miss from behind the arc in the second frame as they shot four-of-seven from three.
- The Bulldogs posted their best offensive performance of the game in the second quarter thanks to Bjelko who netted seven of Bryant's 13 points.
- Bryant had trouble against the Pioneer defense in the third quarter grabbing just two field goals (2-14). On the other side, Sacred Heart capitalized and poured in 18 third-quarter points for its highest offensive output of the game. As a result, the Bulldogs trailed, 31-50, at the end of the third frame.
- A Sacred Heart three-pointer at the 2:11 mark in the fourth quarter gave the Pioneers their biggest lead of the night of 29 points, 64-38. Bryant was unable to come back from the deficit and closed out the game, 64-40.
- Bjelko led with 16 points off five-of-14 shooting and six-of-nine from the charity stripe. The senior was one rebound shy of a double-double.
- Jallow chipped in eight points shooting three-of-11. She finished the game with eight rebounds, two assists, two steals, and one block.
- Castagne posted three points and one rebound.
- Kandis Taylor contributed two points, two assists, and one rebound.
- Freshman Mariona Planes Fortuny added four points, four rebounds, and one block.
- Juliette Golden pulled down seven rebounds, dished out two assists, and swiped two steals.
- Shannon O'Connor swiped three steals and drained a bucket in just six minutes of play.
- The Bulldogs outrebounded the Pioneers, 42-31.
- Sacred Heart posted a 41.7 FG percentage (20-48) and shot 12-of-26 from the three-point range.
- Bryant shot 26.8% from the field (15-56).
- Castagne's three in the first quarter was the first basket of her career in a Black and Gold uniform.
- This is the second time this season the Bulldogs were held to just 40 points. The last time Bryant posted 40 points was at Providence this season, 67-40.
- Today's game marks the lowest FG percentage that Bryant has posted this season.
- The Bulldogs fall to 6-21 all-time against Sacred Heart.
The Bulldogs host Sacred Heart for the second game of the two-game series on Sunday, Feb. 14 at 4 p.m. on NEC Front Row.